viii. up on your feet

EIGHT,     UP ON YOUR FEET

EIGHT, UP ON YOUR FEET

      ARMIN'S MIND WAS blank

ARMIN'S MIND WAS blank. The gravity of the situation weighed him down as time ticked slowly causing his stomach to ache and turn into knots, his throat was clogged with self-blame, dry, unable to make a sound. It seemed as if his skin had lost all color from the distress plaguing his thought process. No matter how much he wanted to break out of his state of anguish- it appeared to be impossible.

The vivid flashback of his best friend being devoured while saving him was enough to make the boy feel guilt-ridden. The fact that he couldn't even save any of his comrades or Eren who was badly injured and still pushed through made him believe he did not deserve to be alive. It confirmed that he was indeed useless in this battle to bring humanity peace.

There was no rewind button to change the outcome of his cowardness. He should've died with them. He wanted to instead of having to live out this nightmare.

The instant he saw his friends get chomped down on as if they were some snack, that's when the salty tears began to fall from his blue eyes without ever seeming to stop. Not even if he tried hard enough. It left him deep in a void he had no way of getting out of, surrounded entirely by sorrow. It left him with how Mikasa would feel at the news of Eren being dead and what she would think of him. Would she hate him?

She wouldn't... Would she?

Then his mind wandered to Fleur, was she okay? Or was she... Did she also die trying to save him? The last time he saw her she killed the Titan that had eaten Thomas so viciously and seconds later the girl was thrown straight through a window all while trying to snap him out of his trapped mind. She shouted at him to do something yet, he couldn't. She failed.

As he sat there motionless, staring at nothing like he'd been doing for a while now with his lower jaw shivering he could hear the indistinct footsteps approaching him. They sounded cautious, barely touching the bumpy surface he sat on, almost like they floated over instead, attempting to not frighten him more than he already was.