t h r e e

NOW IN COLOR

        CALLISTA sat on her couch next to wanda, who was getting her stomach checked out by the doctor. the doctor held a stethoscope to wanda's stomach, checking the heartbeat of the babies. 

        "hmm," the doctor made a sound. wanda and callista exchanged confused looks, not knowing if that was good or bad. "yep, definitely pregnant." the doctor told the two, taking the stethoscope off wanda's stomach. 

        wanda chuckled nervously. "well, that much we figured." the doctor got up, and started to put his stuff into his bag. 

         "it's sorta shocking to us. it was just suddenly, basically overnight. how did this happen? i didn't even think two women could get pregnant." 

        "you see, when two people love each other very much-" the doctor started, trying to explain sex to the two. 

        "well, we're just tickled pink, or blue." wanda smiled, getting up from the couch. callista got up, following wanda. 

        "you're at about four months now, is that right?" the doctor asked, making callista's jaw drop. callista shook her head no, while wanda shook her head yes. wanda turned to look at callista, and she started to shake her head yes too. "i thought as much. we let the little ladies keep tabs on their growing babies with fruit. makes it simple for them." wanda and callista exchanged concerned looks. "at four months, the fetus is about as big as a pear. at five months, a papaya. six, a grapefruit. seven, pineapple. eight, honeydew."

         callista nervously laughed, still shocked by the whole situation. "if we were hypothetically speaking, what would the size be at about twelve hours?" 

        the doctor looked confused. "uh, pardon? twelve hours?" 

        "well, i think this line of questioning is fruitless," wanda joked. 

        wanda walked over to the doctor to walk him out, callista behind her. "well hypothetically, should we be worried?" callista asked. 

        the doctor picked up his bag and turned to callista. "hypothetically speaking, every new mother get's nervous" the doctor patted callista on the shoulder. 

        "cal, why don't you see the doctor out?" wanda asked her wife. 

        callista smiled. "good idea." the two started to walk to the door. "thank you so much for stopping by, dr. neilson." callista opened the door for the man.