XIII. Villain Returned

Sarah had just left the conservatory and had begun her daily chore of dusting the grand staircase at the front of the house when she heard the shouting.

"Where is she?" someone was bellowing. Sarah paused her dusting to peer over the railing into the Front Hall, who would be yelling at Broadcroft? What could've happened?

But in the next moment Sarah was knocked to the ground, her jaw cracking hard against the floor. Sarah rolled over, trying to catch her breath and found Lottie laying beside her, panic in her eyes and a finger pressed to her lips.

"Where are you hiding her Amesbury? I will have the magistrate called! Give her up! Now!"

Sarah thought she might be sick as she recognized the voice of her guardian. The man must've finally put together an idea of where she would hide. Lottie laid flat on her stomach beside Sarah as the two watched the scene below, Lottie's hand clutched in Sarah's.

"Amesbury!" he roared again, and Lady Eleanor flinched. A group of curious guests came to stand just in the doorway of the drawing room, but where was Charles?

"Where are you hiding -"

"Enough."

The voice rang clear and commanding through the hall, and Sarah shivered at the arresting force behind it. All eyes swung to Charles as he entered, Henry close behind.

"You are hiding her - I know it!" Warwick continued, but a considerably lower volume than before.

"You will contain your venom in front of my mother," Charles commanded, and Warwick seemed to hesitate before obeying, "If you have something to discuss I invite you to follow me, and I'll thank you to cease your shouting, immediately," Charles finished, his voice nearly unrecognizable. Here was the Lieutenant Amesbury, Sarah thought. And his was quite a terrifying figure indeed.

With little more incident, Warwick preceded Charles into the morning room just down the corridor, Henry and Lady Eleanor following close behind. There was utter silence until the sound of a door closing echoed through the house. Sarah buried her face in the carpet in relief, realizing that she had not been breathing.

"Thank you, Lottie," Sarah said, her breathing labored she squeezed the younger girl's hand.

"Oh, Miss Sarah," was all Lottie would say before she too laid her head on the carpet.