XVIII. A Plot

"Your plans for Sir Charles do not seem to be falling in place, Lavinia dear," Leticia jeered in a sickly sweet tone as the two women breakfasted in the Croft's sitting room. Sarah tried not to smirk as she continued cleaning the room.

"It's of no consequence what he feels for me now, Leticia," Lavinia shot back, "My plans for Sir Charles are not ruined yet."

"Oh?"

"No, you know very well I do not need much time or romance involved," Lavinia continued, her frustration only barely tempered. Neither of them had noticed Sarah at all.

"You still plan to compromise yourself then?" Leticia asked. Sarah froze.

"Mama has assured me it will be easy enough to catch him alone and then she will send someone to stumble upon us, forcing him to marry me on principle."

"What if he doesn't? What if you're compromised and no one will have you at all?"

"He's a gentleman, Leticia, he'll do what is honorable," Lavinia concluded confidently.

"And then you will be a truly Lady," Leticia giggled and Lavinia joined her as Sarah slipped out of the room.

Her hands were cold, she didn't know why her hands were cold. Entrap Charles? She would never let it happen. Checking the clock Sarah wished the next hour would go quickly - perhaps he would already be in his study now? Turning in that direction, duster still in hand, Sarah nearly ran headlong into Mrs. Green.

"Watch yourself!" the good lady chided, "But where are you going now?" she demanded.

"Sir Charles -" Sarah began to form an excuse.

"I will say this once, dear and not again. But I have no idea where your family is from, so someone ought to give you a piece of motherly advice," Mrs. Green had dropped her voice, and placed a fist on each of her hips.

"Sir Charles is a gentleman," she stated slowly to make sure she was understood, "Gentlemen do not deal honorably with maids, my girl. You think on his true intentions, and if you had like, I will write you a reference myself to another house," Mrs. Green offered kindly.

"You should not be saying such things!" Sarah exclaimed indignantly, "Charles is honorable, and has never been ungentlemanly!"

"His brother was just the same - ruined two of my best girls. I'll only say it once," Mrs. Green insisted as she gave Sarah one more pointed look before moving on down the hall.

Sarah felt sick to her gut. Nearly running, she reached the study and threw open the door, craving the solitude and familiarity now more than ever. There was lump growing in her throat, and tears stung her eyes. The room lay empty, the dull gray light of day streamed through its windows and there was a stillness here that Sarah could not seem to find in her own heart of late.

A few tears did fall, then. For the loss of her family, her future, the life she had expected. The dreams she'd had of marriage and love, the change in her beloved Charles, and the twisted realities that now replaced all of these things she'd held dear. Alone, in the coveted chair, Sarah was heartsick.