Chapter 2

The locker room was buzzing everyone came back from our little time off, and we had to start conditioning and practices again, but first, we had some new rookie players coming in that were scouted and drafted to the team; usually, we would mess wi...

The locker room was buzzing everyone came back from our little time off, and we had to start conditioning and practices again, but first, we had some new rookie players coming in that were scouted and drafted to the team; usually, we would mess with them just a little but nothing too severe just to welcome them to the chargers family.

"Hey, Bro, How was New York?" one of my teammates asked.

"It was good, my sister's wedding was beautiful like I expected she made a beautiful bride, my brother-in-law is a lucky man to see such a sight," I said with a smile.

"Oh, that's right, I remember your sister. She's hot! She married a hockey player, right?" he says, looking back at me from the bench.

"Smitty call my sister hot again, and I will whack you on the field, "I say with a smile causing him to scurry away, and I grin.

As everyone continues to talk loudly over the hip-hop music blaring on the locker room speakers, the coach walks in and yells for us to turn the music down. "Alright, guyswelcome back; I hope everyone enjoyed their time off," He says, scanning the room. The guys holler back in agreement.

"That's good to hear, now we are going to do the little conditioning camp for the next few weeks, then right after we were asked if any of you wanted to volunteer for the little football camp they have for the kiddos, we need at least 5, and there will be guys from San Fran volunteering too. I'll post up the list in front of the door. It'll be right after our conditioning camp, and it will be nice to see you out there." Coach says with a smile.

As he leaves, we have our assistant coaches call out the groups we will be working out in, and we all start to finish getting dressed up. It was a hot day In San Diego, and the sun was blazing extra heat because, for some reason, I felt extra exhausted and dehydrated after practice; I did my best to work out here and there during the offseason, but I also spent most of my time with my family and well my mom's cooking was anything but healthy, but it was worth it.

We all got out of the huddle and headed back to the locker rooms to shower and head home; we seen a few reporters and interviewers surrounding the front gate of the stadium as we were walking back in, and well, that was the life of a pro football player, a few weeks ago my sister's wedding was in the press and all over the news, there were pictures taken, and there was one of me with a lady I met at the bridal party, she was a friend of my sister's and people went crazy thinking she was my date and significant other when really I didn't know her, and it was all polite conversation.

After my shower, I got changed and noticed one of my teammates waiting by my locker; Steven was one of our wide receivers; he was fast and super talented, he was also just newly married, and the closest mature friend I had on the team, not many of them were around our age.

Most of them were young and very flashy; I don't knock them though I was once a young stud who wanted nothing more to do than party, drink, and sleep with sexy women. Now in my late 20's hell, I will be 30 in a few months; I can't be as fast-paced as I once was; in all honesty, I was tired of it, So my routine was football, work out and sleep.

"What's up, Steve?" I asked, throwing my towel on top of my duffel bag in my locker. "Michelle wanted me to ask if you were interested in coming over for a BBQ this weekend?" He says with a smile. "hmmm, sure, bro, I'm down for a chill night and free food" I smirk and pick up my duffel.

"I thought so, we will have a few people over, not too many, just some," he says, smacking my shoulder as he turns to grab his duffel off the ground. "oh, wait a minute," I look at him suspiciously.

"This isn't going to be another let's make Jason feel awkward like "The Bachelor" type of BBQs again, is it" I shook my head with a groan.

"Nah, man, not this time; Michelle learned her lesson the last time I warned her and watching it crash and burn; she felt so bad that night, but seriously though it is just a small get together some of her coworkers that's it, and most of them are married," he says with a laugh.

"Ah ok, well that's good, cause that last time I swear if I didn't see you like family, I would've left right after I found out I was the only man there surrounded but 15 single women; I was expecting you to come out with a bunch of roses at the end of the night it was terrifying" giving off a baritone laugh from his stomach.

"Well, if anything, you did well; you took it like a champ, and all the ladies said you are lovely," now cracking up at the memory that was more of a nightmare to me.

"My ass, I was sweet and polite just like my momma raised me, but it was the women that were looking at me like they were going to devour me whole. I'm surprised I survived that night with all ten fingers and toes," we joked and conversed as we head out of the locker room.

"Yeah, man, Michelle really does feel sorry about that; oh dude, you going to sign up for this? I am, plus I did it last year, and I had a lot of fun. It's refreshing to see kids' pure love for the sport, not the money-hungry eyes I see staring back at me in a game every Sunday," looking at the sign-up sheet behind the door.

"Oh, the kid's football camp? Sure, why not? I like kids, and you have a point. It's nice to see fans and young kids look up to you. We have to set an example. I reach over to sign my name on the paper as we walk away.

We walked out of the stadium and got surrounded by a few reporters.

"Jason, Jason, when are you and that lady you were seen with getting married?"

"Jason, does that mean she is moving to California?"

"Jason, does that mean you are officially off the market?"

I watch as Steven walks along with me with a smirk on his face, but he doesn't say anything, and the last thing I need is my parents to hear on the news that I have an imaginary woman or relationship. I stopped walking and turned to everyone.

"I'm sorry guys, but your information is all false; I am still single, and the lady I was seen with is my sister's friend and a bridesmaid who happened to be my partner for the wedding; please respect my personal life, and you all have a good day." I turn back around and head over to my car; as I say goodbye to Steven, who was parked a few cars away from me, I get into my car and head home.

I get home and look through my fridge for something to eat for dinner, and I find an old pizza slice and some wings in there, and I throw them in the microwave and head over to my couch and turn the tv on while I wait for my food to reheat.

I watch a few sports highlights, and then I flipped the channel to an action movie, and I hear the microwave ding; I get up and take the food back into the living room. Once I inhale it, I feel my eyes start to get heavy, and just like that, I fell asleep, it was a nice life, but I admit it was a lonely one.