CHAPTER TWO

Thomas lays a map down on the table in front of him and points to a spot that was circled. "There, that's it."

He looks at everyone as he explains. "It's a few hundred miles. Based on the railways and everything that Aris, and Juliet has told us that's where they're gotta be headed. That's where they're taking Minho."

"We take everyone who can fight. Follow the roads where we can. We can make it back in a week." Thomas explained.

"A week?" Vince asked, looking at him in disbelief.

"It took us six months to get here. We got over a hundred kids here now. We can't just hang out here forever after what we just pulled."

"You wanna wonder off to some random point on the map. You don't even know what's there." Vince said, thinking that Thomas was crazy he wanted to do this.

"I do."

Along with everyone else, Juliet looked over to see Jorge leaning against the wall near the door. "It's been a few years, but I've been there." Jorge said to everyone as he walked towards them. "The Last City."

"That's what WICKED called it." Jorge explained. Juliet's eyes suddenly widened, and Thomas looked at her with concerned.

"I remember hearing them talking about it." she spoke up. "That city was their whole base of operations."

"If that city is still standing, that's the last place you want to go, hermano." Jorge nodded as he looked at Thomas. "That's the Lion's den."

Thomas shrugged his shoulders. "It's nothing we haven't done before."

"Yeah, with months of planning, and reliable information, the element of surprise, none of which we have now." Vince reminded everyone.

"Vince, I thought this through." Thomas reassured him, and Juliet knew that Vince wasn't going to be that easy to convince. Thomas opened his mouth to speak, but closed it when Vince raised his voice. "Would you just hear me out?" Vince asked.

"The last time we went off half-cocked...I lost everything." Vince admitted, and Juliet frowned, feeling bad for him. She figured he was talking about Mary, and it was obvious that Mary meant a lot to him.

Vince pointed at Thomas. "You remember that?"

Thomas grew quiet, feeling guilty about what happened. He looked over at Juliet when he felt a hand intertwine with his. She sent him a smile, trying her best to comfort him, and he squeezed her hand, glad that he had someone like her in his life.

"Look, I know it's Minho, alright? But you can't ask me to put those kids on the line for one man." Vince shook his head. "I won't do it." he said, and Juliet didn't blame him.

Everyone looked over to the radio they had in the room that was hooked up to where they could listen in on the WICKED guards when they heard it say 'searching the grid now. a is completed. scanning b-sector now'.

Thomas held onto Juliet's hand tighter, and her eyes grew wide when she heard the sound of whirring blades above the building they were in. "Hit the lights." Thomas demanded, letting go of Juliet's hand so he could help turn off the lights in the room.

Everyone scattered around the room, turning off the lights as quick as they could, and thankfully they didn't have that many on. Jorge pulled the lever that turned off all of the lights on the base while Juliet ran outside to the beach with Thomas and Vince.

Juliet turned around, hating how fast her heart was beating as she watched the helicopters shine their light on each building as they flew past. They weren't exactly where they were, but they weren't that far away.

"Jeez, they're getting close." Vince muttered.

"You're right." Thomas realized, and Juliet glanced over at him. "We can't stay here."

He shared a look with Vince as Vince patted him on the shoulder before walking back. Juliet frowned when she noticed it looked like Thomas' eyes were watery which made her heartbreak.

"Thomas." she spoke, and he looked at her.

"Everything is going to be fine. We're gonna get Minho back no matter what, okay?" she reassured him.

He took a shaky breath as he nodded. "Okay." he smiled, but she knew he wasn't okay by the look in his eyes.

She grabbed his hand, pulling him in for a tight hug. He didn't hesitate to wrap his arms back around her. He rested his head on top of hers after pressing a gentle kiss on her hairline, and Juliet closed her eyes, wishing they could stay like this forever.

It was only a few hours later when Thomas started walking past his friends quietly, doing his best not to wake them up. He zipped up his backpack he had in his hand as he walked to where Bertha was parked. He didn't care that he was going alone, he was going to go get Minho no matter what. He couldn't leave him there.

"Where do you think you're going?"

He looked up as a light was flipped on. His eyes grew wide when he saw Newt standing in front of the old jeep.

Thomas' shoulders slumped. "Newt..." he sighed, upset that he got caught. He was really hoping no one would find out he was leaving.

Newt rolled his eyes. "Don't be a twat about it."

He walked towards Thomas, and stopped when he was a few inches away from him. "I'm already in." he told Thomas, taking his backpack from him, and walked back to the car, leaving Thomas to look at him with surprise.

"Come on." Newt said.

"No." Thomas shook his head. "No, not this time."

"Look, even if we find Minho, there's no guarantee we make it back from this." Thomas told Newt as the blonde turned to face him.

Newt just smirked. "Well, then you'll need all of the help you can get then, won't you?"

Thomas furrowed his eyebrows with confusion, but then Newt opened up the drivers side door, revealing Frypan. He moved back, and then opened up the passenger door he was by, revealing Juliet. Newt smiled as he leaned against the car while crossing his arms.

"Hi, Tommy." Juliet sheepishly smiles as she waves at Thomas. Thomas let out a laugh as he shakes his head at her and Frypan.

"Well, we started this together." Newt said, and then glanced at Juliet before looking back at Thomas. "Most of us." he added, and Juliet chuckled as she rolled her eyes.

"I may not have been with you guys since the beginning, but it felt like I have." Juliet admitted. "So we might as well end it with all of us together."

He looked at Thomas, and pointed at Juliet. "She's a keeper."

Thomas laughed as he looked down, glad that it was dark so it was hard to see that he was blushing. Juliet, Newt, and Frypan stared at Thomas, waiting for an answer.

Thomas was silent for a few moments before he nodded. "Okay. Let's go get him back."

A/N thomas & juliet are cuties omg