CHAPTER THREE

Juliet sat in the back seat, across from Newt as they drove away from the base. She lost count for how long they drove, and she pretty sure she fell asleep along the way because she heard someone call her name.

"Juliet! Julie, wake up." A British voice said.

Newt shook her shoulder gently, trying to wake her up. Juliet's eyes opened, panic flooding through her, almost forgetting where she was. She feared she was back with WICKED. The curly headed girl let out a sigh of relief when she turned, and saw Newt's concerned face.

"You okay?" He asked.

She swallowed nervously as she nodded. "Yep. Yeah, just a bad dream, but no worries, I'm fine."

He looked at her as if he didn't believe her, but he nodded. "Okay. Well, we're almost there."

She sent him a small smile, and looked out the window as Frypan continued driving down the road. Her heartbeat increased whenever they passed a sign that said 'mandatory infection check'.

They came up to the mandatory infection check that was no doubt abandoned. She didn't fail to notice the sign on the fence that said 'flare virus. sign of infection' which made her nerves, and fear drove. There were broken down cars on everywhere. There was even some trash scattered in some places, and the building itself looked like it would fall down at any minute.

Juliet realized that the car had stopped for awhile, and she looked forward seeing they were in front of a creepy looking tunnel that looked like a hot spot for Cranks. Everyone got out of the car, and looked at the tunnel.

"You want us to go in there?" Newt pointed at the dark tunnel, looking back at Thomas as if he was crazy.

Thomas looked at the map he had in his hand to make sure they were going the right way. He looked over to his right, and noticed how Juliet was acting. He reached for her hand, and intertwined their fingers together to try and ease her nerves, as she sent him a nervous smile.

"Yeah, I don't want to come across as too negative, but I mean, if I was a Crank, that's exactly where I would be." Newt nervously stated.

Thomas glanced at the tunnel, and then back at the map. "I don't think we have much of a choice." He said as he looked at Newt, who sighed.

"Alright, I get shotgun." Newt called as he walked to the car, and Juliet would've chuckled, but her nerves got the best of her.

Juliet sat in the back seat with Thomas as Frypan starts to drive down the tunnel. Frypan turned on the headlights so that they could see better as he drove.

"Well, here we go." Frypan said. Newt, Thomas, and Juliet held flashlights out their windows so they could see better. Juliet bit her lower lip, keeping an eye out for Cranks.

"Just take it nice and slow." Newt told Frypan.

In the tunnel there was a lot of trash on the ground, broken down cars, and even piles of wood stacked on top of each other against the wall.

"Up ahead." Juliet announced, spotting a Crank a few feet in front of them and Frypan immediately stopped.

Frypan and Newt looked back at Thomas, wondering what to do. "It's okay." Thomas reassured them.

"It's just one, so take it slow, and go around him." He told Frypan, and Frypan looked at him. Thomas nodded. "We'll be fine."

"Take it slow." Frypan sighed.

Juliet, and the boys turned off their flashlights, and rolled up their windows as Frypan started slowly driving towards the Crank.

Juliet jumped whenever Thomas bumped into her, startled as they suddenly heard someone say, "Please."

They look over to see a Crank outside of Thomas' window. The Crank looked around, trying to open the door as she pleaded, "Help me."

Juliet let out a small scream, moving closer to Thomas whenever she heard a screech besides her. Her heartbeat increased when she saw a Crank clawing at her window.

"Okay, Fry, we gotta go." Thomas spoke up in a urgent tone as two Cranks appeared at Frypan's and Newt's window.

"You need to go right now, Fry!" Newt yelled as the Cranks screeched at them, and pleaded to let them in the car.

"Yeah, just go!" Juliet shouted, and Frypan quickly started speeding down the tunnel just as a Crank jumped on the front of the car.

Juliet's eyes widened when the Crank started punching the glass. Frypan drove as fast as he could, trying to get the Crank off of the car. The Crank ended up on Frypan's side, punching at the window.

"Hold on!" Frypan exclaimed, moving the car close to a old car near the wall that had some metal sticking out from it, and luckily the Crank got caught by the metal.

"Frypan, watch out!" Thomas yelled, but it was too late. Frypan drove over some barrels, and in the process the car flipped upside down.

Juliet closed her eyes, coughing while waving her hand around trying to get the dust and smoke away.

"Everyone okay?" Thomas asked.

"Y-yeah, I think so." Juliet muttered out a shaky reply.

"Fry, cover your eyes." Thomas said, and once Frypan did, he kicked the window near Frypan and the glass shattered.

"Fry, you okay?" Juliet asked since she heard him muttering something about hurting his hand while Thomas climbed out of the window.

"I'll be okay." Frypan replied.

Frypan then tries opening the door, but it was stuck. Thomas tries opening the door, but it wouldn't budge. "Alright, okay, you're just gonna have to go around."

"Newt, Juliet, you okay?" Thomas questioned them while Juliet tried opening her door.

"My door won't open." She responded, pushing with all of her strength, but of course it was stuck.

"I'm trying to open this one." Newt told her, trying to open the door on his side.

After a few pushes, he rolls out onto the ground. "Nice job, Newt." Juliet commented as she crawled to that side.

"Newt, you okay?" Thomas asked him as he helped him up.

Newt nodded. "Yeah, I think so."

"Jules, you okay?" Thomas moved over to the open door, making sure Juliet was okay as she crawled out of the car.

"I'm good." She replied, gladly taking Thomas' hand, and he helped her up.

Frypan then crawls out behind her just as they hear the familiar screech of a Crank. Newt went to grab the gun he had, but then groaned when he realized it was out of bullets.

"Frypan, I think we gotta move now." Thomas said whenever Frypan went back inside of the car.

"Wait a minute." Frypan suddenly said.

Thomas pushed Juliet behind him as the Crank started moving towards them. She and Newt started slowly backing up as Thomas ushered Frypan out of the car, but Frypan told them to wait as he tried grabbing something.

The Crank was getting closer to them and so the boys tried pulling Frypan out of the car so they could get out of there. Frypan then suddenly gets out with a rifle, shooting the Crank a few times until it fell on the floor.

"Nice shot, Fry." Thomas commented.

"Thanks." Frypan smiled.

The four of them look forward when they heard more screeches of Cranks, and saw a lot of them running there way.

"Okay, we gotta go." Thomas told them.

"Don't have to tell me twice." Juliet mumbled as she took off running with him and Newt.

Frypan stayed back, shooting at the Cranks until he was out of bullets, and then ran along with his friends down the dark tunnel as multiple Cranks chased them.

A/N idk why but I thought of the secret tunnel song from atlab(avatar; the last air bender) when I wrote this chapter & that was probably only because they were in a tunnel...