Chapter nine

I barely glanced up at the towering skyscraper as I raced up to candleshade's front doors. When I got there I pounded on the doors as hard as I could and, unfortunately, one of my least favorite persons answered.

"What is the meaning of thi-" But Cassius didn't get to finish. I raced past him and rushed up to keefe's room. I went to open the door but thought better of it and knocked urgently.

Keefe opened the door and stood there, shocked. "Y/n?" He asked in disbelief. Ro showed up behind him, also shocked.

"Y/n, your cheek! Come on." Keefe said, took my hand and pulled me into his room. Normally, I would have blushed with him holding my hand, but right now I didn't care about something stupid like that. He sat me down on his bed and examined my cheek.

"What the heck happened?" He asked with deep concern.

I bit my lip. I guess I had to tell the truth. There was really no point in lying, he would probably be able to tell.

"My... my mom..." I breathed. Tears started to roll down my cheeks.

"Your mom did this to you?" He asked.

My throat seemed to close up and refuse to let me speak, so I nodded.

"I am going to beat that lady's a-" Ro started, but Keefe interjected, "Right now we have more important things to do. Get me a wet cloth and call Elwin." Ro nodded and retrieved what he asked for, then hailed Elwin.

When the doctor answered, I heard him say, "For goodness sakes, what did Keefe do now?"

I caught a glimpse of myself in Keefe's mirror and grimaced. Three deep red scratches stretched across my right cheek and that side of my face was covered with blood.

Keefe began to wash my cheek with the wet cloth Ro had fetched. I winced as my cheek began to sting again.

"I want to know everything that happened." Keefe said like a worried father.

"There's... not much to know. My mom has issues because my dad left. Sometimes she just... snaps."

Keefe just nodded. "I really wish you had told me." He murmured.

The look of hurt on his face made me feel bad. Not just because I hid this from him and hadn't told him until now, but also because there was so much more I was hiding from him.

"I'm sorry." I finally said.

"No. You shouldn't be saying sorry. I understand why you wouldn't want to tell me. But for future reference, just know that you can tell me anything."

I nodded, looking down, purposefully not making eye contact. Then he wrapped his arms around me and hugged me and let me cry into his shoulder. After I cried for a little while, he pulled me away, held my face in his hands, and touched our foreheads together. His ice blue eyes looked into my y/e/c eyes, though mine were still filled with tears, and whispered, "Its okay. Everything's gonna be okay."