Chapter ten

Elwin finally arrived. He was very concerned about what happened, he started to ask Keefe, "Does this have something do to with-" But Keefe shook his head, and Elwin nodded understandingly. Not that I understood any of it.

He made me drink some gross elixirs and bandaged up my cheek. Then, with my consent,  Keefe told Elwin and Cassius what happened. The adults listened with deep concern. Cassius pulled Elwin out of the room to speak privately, then a few minutes later Elwin came back into the room.

"Okay, I think my work here is done. Just try not to put to much pressure or hit your cheek on anything. You should be able to take of the bandages in a few weeks, but don't worry, I'll check up on you soon. Oh, and I have some bad news."

I sighed. How much worse could it get?

"I'm afraid that it might leave a permanent scar."

Okay... I guess it could get worse. I'm going to have a permanent scar on my face from the time my own mother abused me. At this point, I was starting to just go numb to any emotion.

Elwin left and Keefe said I should get some rest. It was still mid-day, but the days events had been more exhausting than I realized, and I passed out on Keefe's bed as soon as I hit the pillow.

I woke up the next morning to Keefe gently nudging me.

"Hey, y/n. Wake up sleeping beauty."

I looked at him groggily "What did you just call me?"

"You heard me, sleeping beauty. You've been sleeping for the last, like, fifteen hours."

"Uggggg." I buried my head in the pillow and pulled the blankets up over the back of my head. "Ten more minutes. I beg you Prince Charming." He laughed and pulled the blankets back.

"We need to go soon."

"Go where? It's the weekend, we don't have school today."

Keefe bit his lip. "To... well..."

I sat up. "Spit it out."

"The council's holding a tribunal. For your mom." He said and then gave me a look that said sorry.

"Stop doing that." I said.

"Doing what?"

"The pity party your throwing for me. I don't want pity." I said sharply.

Keefe nodded. "I get that."

"So, back to the tribunal, do I need to be there?" I said, really hoping I could just sleep-in. I'd really prefer a dream nightmare rather than a real one.

"Yeah. They need your testimony or whatever. But if you want, they said I could go to, for moral support." He smiled.

I nodded. "I'd like that."

An hour or two later, we were approaching the tribunal hall, and I was nervous as heck. I clung on to Keefe's arm as we walked. Keefe asked Cassius to go ahead and said we'd be right behind him.

"Alright, but you better not be late." He had said.

Now, Keefe turned to me and took both my hands, which were shaking.

" Y/n, look me in the eyes. You can do this."

"I really don't wanna-"

"I know you don't want to see her, and you don't have to, okay? Just focus on something else, probably me, because I know you can't keep your eyes off me."

I rolled my eyes.

"Y/n. Your gonna do fine, okay?"

"Okay." I whispered.

He looked like he was about to pull away, but then he turned back to me and leaned his face close to mine. He whispered, "Just focus on this."

And then he freaking kissed me.