Chapter 2

It was instinct. A typically fixed pattern of behavior in animals and humans in response to certain stimuli. Something people have deep inside that they can't control. An instinct to protect someone or one's self. An instinct to fight back when attacked. There's no control of these instincts. And for some reason, that's what it was to the girl when she saved the bird. She had no control whatsoever. A power so strong that it moved her legs without her even thinking.

Was it worth it? It certainly was. The girl cared for the innocence, whether it be humans or animals. She takes pride in her strong will to protect others, even though she isn't a licensed hero. However, she questions why she does it when heroes aren't her favorite people.

Why risk her life for an animal that doesn't serve humankind? That's a question the girl was asked shortly after the accident. And it's a question she asks herself. Why? Why does she do it after everything she has been through?

The girl furrows her eyebrows. That question alone hurts worse each time it runs through her mind. It's just her luck that she can't answer it how she wants. After what happened, and knowing it had a broken wing, she couldn't just leave it on the sidewalk.

She would've taken it to the vet, but it closed just minutes before arriving. Instead, she takes it home to take care of it. She was truly questioning herself. How could she even take care of an injured animal? Never has she owned any type of animal or learned medical techniques in her life.

She's hoping that whatever she is doing will help the bird somehow.

All in all, the girl uses her magical internet abilities to find out how to take care of a broken wing. Following the directions closely, she nods to her handy work on the bird. A bandage wrapped strongly around the wing, where it is most damaged, for support. The bird couldn't fly, of course, but it will soon.

A long sigh escapes her once finished. She cleans up the small mess she created with the med kit she found in her apartment. Before she can return the kit to where it was found, the bird shuffles to awakening.

Its eyes open slowly. Beautiful golden brown irises look at their surroundings in a slumber, stumbling to push themselves up.

"Hey there, little guy." The girl greets the bird, hoping it wouldn't freak out about her presence. It didn't help as much as she thought it would. The bird instantly scrambles to stand up in a panic, its eyes wide open in fear. "Calm down! I'm only helping you out!" She tries to reason with it.

"How can I calm down when I'm a bird!"

"Well, you were hurt–" Her eyes widened in realization. The bird just talked. Being in a world full of abnormal quirks wasn't surprising. But it is certainly interesting to think that she just brought a stranger into her home, who could turn into a human and probably hurt her. A man, to be exact. She could hear the masculine voice clearly.

She knew there were makeshift quirks out there. People who could turn into an object or an animal. What part of her mind made her think this bird was normal?

"Did you...did you just talk?" She decides to start. A step back from the bird should do her some good. If he were to turn back into his rightful body, she would have a good amount of time to escape if things went sideways.

The bird cocks his head to the side. It looked like the bird was having trouble understanding what was happening, much like the girl. "I did...Where am I? How am I here?" He asks in a slight panic.

Then it hit her. If this man shifted into a bird, why didn't he turn back out of panic? Much less turn back before almost getting killed by a car? "I-I don't understand...Why aren't you back to normal? Don't these...makeshift quirks only work for a certain amount of time...?" Fear of being attacked has subsided. Curiosity is shortly taking over.

"Makeshift?" Now the bird and the human girl were both confused. "I don't have a quirk like that."

"But...then how can you talk? There's no such thing as a talking animal."

"I was..." He pauses, looking away in thought. "I don't know... I can't remember anything."

She narrowed her eyes. "Amnesia? Seriously?" She turns away, scratching at her temple to think of possibilities. "Maybe from the accident?"

"Accident? What accident?"

The girl nods. "Yeah. You were going to get hit by a car, but I saved you just in time." The bird believed her by glancing at her bandaged arm. A feeling deep down of guilt appears. But he didn't have time to think about that now. "Are you sure you can't remember anything?" Her question grabs his attention once more.

"I don't remember anything besides knowing I don't makeshift. That's not my quirk."

"Oh?" Her green eyes sparkle in interest. "Then what is your quirk?"

The bird looks down. "...I don't...know..." He was hesitant about his answer. His eyes moved to the floor and everywhere else but her—a hint of being cautious around strangers.

The girl hums. "I see. Well, that doesn't help very much. Could it be...you were turned into a bird?"

"I suppose that could be the only answer." He responds.

The black-haired girl sits on her sofa. She was still cautious, but what could a bird do? Especially with a broken wing. She was safe as long as she kept her distance. Knowing her, though, she had a feeling in the pit of her stomach growing. A feeling that she hated. It couldn't be ignored, of course.

"I'll...help you." She surprises even herself. Golden brown eyes meet green ones as she looks back up at the helpless animal. "To get your memories back."

The bird stared at the girl, unsure of what to say. This was a clear opportunity to get his life back together and find out what happened. But on the other end, he knows he can't trust someone he just met. She saved his life, which he knows very well. Being knocked out the whole time, though, really doesn't give him evidence that she is being truthful. If that were the case, she could've been in contact with the one who turned him this way. Not to mention having it planned to where she saves him.

Although it was an opportunity, there was no way he could take it. "I don't need your help." The words flew out before he could think. He's sticking with his answer, nonetheless.

The girl abruptly stands up. "What? Why not? You have a broken wing – arm – whatever it is. You can't go walking around the city without someone's help. Not to mention the part where you almost died by being kicked into the middle of the road." She couldn't believe the bird wouldn't take her offer. It would be harder for her actually to let him leave. What would've happened to him? If he died, it would clearly be all on her, and she would feel extremely guilty for letting that happen.

He frowns, looking away almost embarrassingly. The girl was right. He didn't have any way of getting around tall humans on the street or big vehicles that could easily run him over. He would need human fingers and strength to get around and look for information.

"I guess...you're right." He finally concludes. "I appreciate your help."

A wide smile spreads on her face. She seemed relieved, as if his well-being was the most important thing to her. "Yeah... I'm Kana, by the way."

"Ah...just call me Hawk."