Chapter 3

The brisk moonlight sneaks its way through the curtains covering the windows. A bright light emitting from a room shines its way through the darkness of the living room. Hawk is awoken by the sounds of movement and the shuffling of paper. His sharp eyes open quickly, a habit he can't seem to get rid of after turning into a bird. His golden irises squint when he sees the bright light of a room close to him. Hawk walks the best he can to the edge of the couch and jumps down with a soft landing on the wooden floor. He lets out a quiet growl at the frustratingly slow pace he walks to get to the light. With his wing broken now, he can't really go as fast as he'd like.

Approaching the room with the beaming light casting out of it, he notices a figure moving about with piles upon piles of paper scattered in the room. Kana, the girl who saved his life, whispered to herself as she stood over a pile of filing folders and papers. Her figure is bent halfway over while she looks through a folder. Her long black hair was disheveled from a restless sleep, and her once bright green eyes were now dull from color. She looked terribly tired and unconditionally wild.

Just by watching her, Hawk could tell Kana's brain was overflowing with thoughts. After a bit of observing, Hawk thought it best to announce his appearance. With a tongue click and a low rumble in his chest, Kana's green eyes meet his golden ones.

"Oh...Hawk." She mumbles in slight surprise. "I'm sorry. Did I wake you?"

Yes, Hawk thought, but he refrained from answering honestly. He didn't want to make it worse with her guilt being built on top of the clear stress she was in right now. "Uh...no. I'm still trying to get used to being...a bird." He clarifies, not completely lying. He looks down at his odd bird feet that he is still trying to get used to. He wishes for his human feet once more. As much as he'd also wish to sleep more of his first peaceful sleep, it's difficult for him to lie down with his bird features.

Kana nods. "Right. Makes sense. I couldn't sleep either." She continues looking through some folders she has around her as she speaks.

"How long have you been up?" He asks, realizing it is still partly dark out by looking through her window. Hawk slowly walks through the room, soon guessing it's the girl's bedroom. He slightly cringed at the fact of how tall Kana and the piles of paper were compared to him.

The girl hums in thought, her right hand moving while writing notes. "About six hours?" She asks herself.

"What?!" Hawk exclaims. "Why so early?"

"Nightmares." She said it so fast; it was like clockwork to her. And in truth, it was. Kana has had nightmares all her life, and she'd think she'd be used to them by now. Instead of crying all night and restlessly trying to get more sleep, she busies herself with work.

"To think you'd run away from your dream like this?"

"How can we see you as our daughter?"

"It wasn't my dream, to begin with." Kana cries her little heart out. Her tiny hands rub against her eyes so hard that the skin around them starts to puff up painfully.

"We are top-ranked heroes! We wanted you to become successful in life! How can you say that?"

Clearly, her attempt at staying busy so early in the morning hasn't helped. The same conversation from her childhood echoes in her mind over and over. The loud crack of her pencil being so tightly gripped in her hand fell on deaf ears.

"Kana."

The girl glances behind herself at the red-feathered bird, her hand releasing its tight grip on the pencil. It was just a dream, she had to remind herself. With a quiet laugh, she straightens up, looking at Hawk with a small smile. "You hungry? I am."