Chapter 7

Fame wasn't anything that he cared about. No, in fact, he cared about making the world a better place. Hawks didn't have a great childhood, and all that got him to be the number three hero was his admiration for Endeavor. He grew and worked really hard, sacrificing his normal childhood to be the youngest hero in Japan. Also known as the fastest hero alive.

He lived up to that name. He thought he was the best of the best, only to bring good into the world and give other Pro Heroes time to kill. He grew up practically alone, besides the constant private teachers hovering over his shoulder to train him to be the best. He knew how to act, spy, and be a double agent. But what he didn't know, to his surprise, was how to trust anybody or make real friends.

"Lovely day for flying, isn't it?" The only closest person Hawks has ever gotten to, not really intentionally, was his receptionist. She also worked as his secretary—keeping an eye on him and his work, as well as his sidekicks. He couldn't help but smile when she did, bringing light into the room she walked into.

"The only thing that's lovely here is you." She was married, he knew that, and he respected it, too. But sometimes, he can't help but slightly get on her nerves. He didn't realize it was a way to hide his true emotions.

She puts on a playful frown, hanging her shoulders in a pouty reaction. Either way, she chuckles, gently resting the pile of papers on his desk. "Hawks, I think it's best for you to find someone," she tried to say as gently as she could.

Hawk wasn't sure what she meant. Find someone? Is there someone missing? He has found plenty of people with his quirk ever since he started his own agency, but was there someone she cared about that went missing? Her husband? Her kids?

"Is someone....missing?" Hawk asked her quietly, unsure of how she meant her words. He'd think she'd be more urgent and panicked if someone was missing.

The woman seems to pause at his words. Soon, a giggle escapes her lips. "No, silly....ah, nevermind. Just make sure these are done before the next meeting with the Chairman." She smiles before leaving his office.

He has never felt so unsure in his life. What did she mean by "find someone?" He wanted to stop the woman and ask her more questions, but he figured she truly did make a mistake and did the right call, leaving it be and leaving him alone.

After all, it's what he's best at. Being alone.

"Hawks is busy again..." One sidekick whispers to his coworker, "he never joins us on our unwinding parties."

The other sidekick frowns slightly, leaning in closer as he glances around, hoping his boss wouldn't hear. "He always does this. It's no surprise. I'm starting to think his busy act is all just...an act, you know?"

Hawks was sitting in his office. He couldn't get the words from his secretary out of his mind, leaving him to wonder what his sidekicks were thinking. Or anybody else in the building. He felt stupid, not realizing it sooner when she said he should find someone. Clearly she meant that he was by himself all of the time. If anything, all he does is work.

But that's only because that's all he can do. He was trained his whole life to be a hero, what else can he do? Making friends was impossible. They can't know about his true identity, and making friends would only risk that. They can't know what he's truly capable of.

A red feather finds its way through the crack of the door and back into his wing. After hearing his sidekicks gossip about him, he may think he should start to be better at things. After all, he is human. It'd only make him suspicious if he were to not act natural and get to know his coworkers.

Easier said than done, he realizes as he sits on Kana's shoulder once more, engrossed in the fact that he can't really speak his mind as much as he'd like. Especially if Shoto Todoroki was walking right beside her in the early morning breeze.