n i n e

"Um," Steve began, "Is that who I think it is?"

"Well," Elizabeth replied as two headlights reflected of the window and into the living room. "Who do you think it is?"

Steve looked out the window in clear disdain. "It looks like Billy Hargrove."

"Well then it is most certainly not Billy Hargrove." 

"I thought you were meeting him there."

"Um," Elizabeth tilted her head. "Change of plans, I guess."

"Why?" Steve interrogated, crossing his arms.

"He insisted that he pick me up. Said it was the gentlemen thing to do." Steve scoffed at his sisters answer, moving to argue once more. "I-"

A knock interrupted the siblings as they both looked to the door in surprise. They had been too absorbed in their own conversation to hear the car engine die out and their visitor come to the front door.

"He is the opposite of a gentleman." Steve stated as Elizabeth made her way to the door. Swinging it open, they were met with the bane of Steve's existence: Billy Hargrove.

"Hi Billy!" Elizabeth exclaimed, moving to walk out the door.

"Hey sweetheart, you look great." Billy said, trying to dazzle Elizabeth with a smile.

"Aw shucks Billy, if I had known you were here for your sweetheart I would have told my girlfriend that I was seeing you tonight." Steve leaned against the doorway in an attempt to seem menacing.

"You mean your babysitter?" Billy argued as Elizabeth walked out of the house. 

"C'mon, let's go. I'm hungry and I'm just craving a milkshake and fries." Elizabeth said, making her way to Billy's car.

"You heard the lady, see you Hargrove." Billy turned around to open the car door for Elizabeth.

"See you Hargrove," Steve mocked, watching them drive off.

ººº

"So, what are you thinking of getting?" Asked Elizabeth as they both examined their menus. The couple sat in a corner booth in the back of the diner.

"Dunno," Billy replied. "Their BLT looks good."

"Trust me, their BLT is not good." Elizabeth shook her head, reminiscing in  her disgust. "Tastes like shit."

Billy let out a small chuckle, glancing up from his menu to see Elizabeth glancing around at the memorabilia on the wall. The dim lights from the diner illuminated her face in a way that could only be described as ethereal. Billy had never felt so infatuated with anything so easily.

"I'll take your word for it."

They sat at the booth interrupted for a while longer, conversing about anything that they could. Billy had soon come to the conclusion that he was absolutely entranced with the way her laugh sounded. Her joy illuminated her whole face, lighting up her eyes and dazzling him in a way he thought was only in fairy tales.

"How can I help y'all tonight?"

"Oh, I'll have-" Elizabeth began.

"Elizabeth Hargrove?" Billy looked up from Elizabeth to see the face of another boy. He looked around Billy's age and was mildly attractive.

"Trevor Philips?" Elizabeth exclaimed. "It's been ages, how have you been?"

"Oh I've been good. My family just moved back in town, and I'd thought I'd earn some extra cash here, you know?" Elizabeth nodded, and as they talked, Billy couldn't help but feel on edge.

Like something was wrong, but he couldn't place what it was.  "I'll have the BLT please," Billy interrupted. 

"Oh," Trevor said, suddenly reminded that he was still working and not catching up with an old friend. "Would you like a drink with that?"

"No thanks." Billy grumbled, closing his menu and sliding it towards Trevor.

"I'll just have a large fry and vanilla milkshake." Elizabeth added, "And a water please." 

Trevor took their menus, excusing himself from the table.

"So," Billy began. "How do you two know each other?"

"Oh, we were old friends in junior high, but I moved schools and his family moved out of town, so we naturally just lost touch." Elizabeth tilted her head, studying Billy's face.

"What's wrong?"

Billy leaned back in his seat, crossing his arms. "Nothing's wrong."

Elizabeth gave him a deadpan look. "You look like I just busted one of your car's front lights. What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Billy growled, looking away from her.

They sat in awkward silence until their food came. As Billy took his first bite, he immediately reeled back in disgust.

Elizabeth let out a small laugh, "Told you it tasted like shit."

Billy let his burger fall onto his plate, unhappy with it. "Here," Elizabeth said, moving her fries towards him.

"I don't need your pity fries."

"They're not pity fries. They're truce fries."

Billy looked at her suspiciously. "Truce fries?"

"Yes." Elizabeth nodded, leaning back in her seat. "I don't know what I did, but they're calling a truce."

Billy continued to look at her, unamused.

"Billy if you don't take the goddamn fries I'm going to put them in your gas tank."

Billy continued to stare at her for a moment longer, before letting out a loud laugh. Soon, Elizabeth got caught in his infectious laughter as well, and they found themselves laughing extremely loud, bothering the other customers.

"Sure thing, doll." Billy picked up a fry, pointing it accusingly at her. "You do that and I'll destroy your telescope and your entire collection of books."

Elizabeth gasped in surprise. "How did you know I have a telescope?"

"You look like you have a telescope." Billy continued to pick at her fries as she comprehended what he had just said.

"Now what the hell is that supposed to mean?"