f o u r

january, 1985

Initially, Elizabeth thought she would spend Monday night in her room, with only her and her novels.

Clearly, from where she was standing, fate did not have that in store for her.

So, soon enough, Elizabeth found herself in the second row of bleachers, cheering the home team on.

The crowd of high schoolers around her were ecstatic as they all went wild.

Elizabeth made the mistake of locking eyes with Billy, who gave her a confused yet charming grin.

Steve caught wind of if, slamming his shoulder against Billy as they got back onto the court.

"Oh my god," One of the girls next to Elizabeth squealed. "Did Billy just look at me?"

"Nice job Billy," Elizabeth complimented as she waited outside the locker room for Steve.

"Thanks," Billy nodded, taking a puff of his cigarette.

"Mr. Hargrove!" Mocked Elizabeth. "This school has a no smoking policy!"

Billy rolled his eyes, letting out a humored chuckle.

"Whoops,"

Steve then walked out of the locker room, only to find his little sister talking with Billy Hargrove.

"C'mon," Steve said, not waiting for an answer as he grabbed Elizabeth's forearm, pulling her along.

"What?" Exclaimed Elizabeth as they left the school. "Dude, let go of me."

Steve finally loosened his grip on her arm, but not removing his hand.

"Come on, we're going home."

Elizabeth shook her head, "No."

"What?" Steve hissed, narrowing his eyes at her.

"No." She repeated, standing her ground.

Steve sighed, rubbing his temples. "Fine,"

Elizabeth nodded, satisfied. "But if you so much as look at that dick head, I am dragging you home by the ear."

Pulling her jacket closer, Elizabeth chuckled at the sight of her cold breath.

"Come on," muttered Steve, begrudgingly making his way into the party.

Elizabeth stared in wonder at the sight before her.

Red cups dotted the green lawn as obscure music thundered from the house. Teens were stumbling in and out of the house, drinking their asses off.

"Wow," whispered Elizabeth as she followed Steve.

Steve opened the front door, and Elizabeth was introduced to her first official high school party.