6 - Flying

Flying

The sails of the Volkvolny were fluttering in the small breeze of the ocean

The sails of the Volkvolny were fluttering in the small breeze of the ocean. They approached Ravka more every day and Ekaterina's nerves grew. Her relationship with the crew tightened. Every night, she would sit with them, listening to their life stories or playing cards and gambling.

She would always win, and the crew would explode in laughter after the idiotic way their mate lost. But most of the sailors were proud of themselves when the games lasted longer than five minutes. Every night they were closer to the win, but Ekaterina grew up sneaking out of the Sokolov mansion to end up in the gambling dens of Ketterdam.

She was a great player, one of the best, and the gambling nights on the Volkvolny proved so. Especially when she beat Lukas at the card game he was supposed to be the best.

During the day, she would spend part of the time training with Tolya and Lukas. Then came Alina's training, and Ekaterina loved to observe from her place next to Lukas on the small bench close to the railing. The Inferni would point out mistakes in her stance, but even though Alina did correct them, Tamar still managed to put her to the ground.

Ekaterina would laugh before her expression deepened. She would raise her voice, making Alina sit straight and repeat the exercise. Sturmhond and Mal would spar with dulled swords. Ekaterina would sometimes train her aim, shooting small color bombs that Lukas would throw in the air. She was grateful that Sturmhond let her use the crew's bullets. After the fight with the Darkling on the whaler, her bullets ran short. Plus, her most prized weapon, the marble revolver, was always full of rounds, even when it was not to be used.

A few nights later, Ekaterina woke up to Tamar's arsenal chest being shut closed. She lifted her head from the uncomfortable pillow on the hammock and looked at the Shu woman.

"Is it time?"

When Tamar nodded, the Kerch woman rose from the hammock. Tamar threw a few clothes at her that she put on. The white shirt was being kept from falling off her body with a small maroon leather corset. It was still pretty big, the sleeve falling off her shoulder. Ekaterina put her gun holders at her shoulder and around her thigh. She took her beloved revolver and gun, placing them slowly in their holders. She took the multitude of ring daggers and put them at her waist, in her boots, and under the sleeve of her viridian green coat. She put on her special gloves, snapping her fingers a few times to feel the sparks ignite.

Ekaterina turned and looked at Tamar. She was standing above Alina, trying to wake up the young girl. The Kerch woman turned around and took the beautiful wooden box out of the duffel bag. She opened it and gently took the dagger, placing it at the belt around her waist. The revolver and dagger stood out, their bright colors hurting the eyes of everyone that looked at her dark attire.