8 - Stories of Saints

Stories of Saints

The tent was quite small, but Ekaterina was not one to complain

The tent was quite small, but Ekaterina was not one to complain. It was enough for her. They were in the military camp next to a town called Kribirsk. Nikolai had been welcomed with warm smiles and waves, Alina and Ekaterina following silently behind him.

The Kerch woman had a hard time in the camp. She tried as much as possible to remain hidden. She left only with a cloth covering her mouth and nose. She recognized some soldiers from when she crossed the Fold for the first time, and she didn't want to take her chances at being recognized. It would completely ruin Kerch's neutral position in the wars and problems Ravka was facing.

Night had fallen over the camp, and Ekaterina was sitting on the small makeshift bed in one of the corners, cleaning her knives. The wound on her forehead was only a faint scar now. Tolya had healed it when they arrived in camp. The scar was impossible to see, it was only a faint line, lighter than her skin tone, but still very hard to notice.

The woman's chestnut hair was falling on her shoulders gracefully. The length was didn't go over her shoulders. It was the only haircut she ever wore, not longer than the shoulders, not shorter than her chin. Her eyes were locked on the knife as the sharpening rock slid smoothly on the blade.

She heard footsteps at the entrance of the tent before someone entered. Alina was standing in front of the opening, her hands clasped to her back. Ekaterina didn't speak. She put her blade down, next to the revolver (that she still had no idea if it still works).

"U-um, I heard Sturm- I mean Nikolai, told you about us leaving for Os Alta."

The woman nodded. The prince had come into her small quarters and told her about their trip, he said that he could arrange a team to get her back to West Ravka if she wanted to go back to Ketterdam.

"I wanted to ask," continued Alina, "I am going to lead the Second Army, but I can't do it alone." Ekaterina froze, her eyes trailed from Alina's face to her hands, hidden behind her back, before looking at her dead in the eyes.

Alina swallowed and looked away from the woman's stare. She took in a breath before turning back at her. "I know you have a family back in Ketterdam, but I also know that if you didn't have at least a little faith in me and in how I can change Ravka and end the Darkling, you wouldn't have been here. You came here because you want to help us. Even if you don't think so, I know this is the reason why you are here and not there."

Alina let out a small laugh, and Ekaterina turned to look away. "You want to know that somewhere, we can be safe," Alina said, her voice trembling. "And you are so powerful, I can feel it! The way you walk, the way you talk, your confidence, the aura you give off is just so powerful! Your everything I've ever wanted to be."