11 - Myth?

"Do you recognize these creatures and this man?"

Ekaterina's eyes were frozen on the portrait of the man. Her eyes were analyzing every part of his face. She went to change the page, wanting to know what kind of book it is and why does it have the man in it. When Baghra sensed it, she raised her cane and hit the woman's hand. She hissed, looking at the old woman with a look of hatred.

"Do you know them?"

The Kerch woman nodded slowly. "These creatures are dragons," she said pointing to the left page, "but they went extinct over seven hundred years ago..."

"And the man?"

Ekaterina turned to look at the portrait of the man. Lukas looked at it over her shoulder. "how can she know the man?" he asked, "this book has to be three hundred years old! She doesn't look a day over nineteen!"

The woman frowned and turned to Lukas, "I'm twenty-one... How old did you think I was? How old are you?"

Both Baghra and Lukas ignored her remark. The old woman hit Ekaterina's hand with her cane again, her pools of darkness staring right in her soul.

"I-I know him," stuttered Ekaterina, making Baghra tense and Lukas widen his eyes, "My father has a portrait of him in our home... He's supposed to be one of our ancestors, from Ravka."

Baghra signed and snatched the book out of Ekaterina's hands. "Tell me, Miss Sokolov... Have you witnessed strange doings around you? Stranger than the ones normal for an Inferni?"

Both Ekaterina and Lukas frowned. The woman did not know what to say or even what 'strange doings' meant. Once she learned to control fire, not much surprised her anymore. She knew from a very young age that her father was a very powerful heartrender and her little brother was starting to show his abilities without the help of a trainer, and he was only five years old.

However, Lukas did witness strange doings, not around her, but because of her. He walked towards Baghra and spoke, "She can do things I've never seen other Inferni do." Ekaterina looked at him with a frown as he continued, "She can raise her body temperature to withstand the cold and she can turn a flame hotter to the point where it turns blue, almost white..."