Tag With Scorpians

Finley was bursting with excitement. Quintus, the new trainer, had everyone suit up in battle armor. It was almost as though they were to be playing Capture the Flag, making the campers excited.

"Right," he called. The man in about his mid-fifties stood at the head of the dining table. "Gather round."

Dressed in bronze and leather, he stood proudly. The torchlight cast shadows across his face, making him look ghostly. His grey hair was splayed messing across his forehead.

"You will be in teams of two," he announced. Many moved to stand beside their friend when Quintus spoke once more. "Which have already been chosen!"

Loud complaints came from the group, but Quintus showed no care.

"Your goal is simple: collect the gold laurels without dying. The wreath is wrapped in a silk package, tied to the back of one of the monsters. There are six. Only one holds the laurels. You must find the wreath before the other teams. And if course . . .You will have to slay the monster to get it, and stay alive."

Beside Percy, Finley was practically exploding with excitement.

A large hellhound by the name of Mrs. O'Leary buried her head in a plate of pizza.

"I will now announce your partners," Quintus announced. "There will be no trading. No switching. No complaining."

He produced a large scroll before listing off names. Charles Beckendorf looked pleased to be paired with Silena Beauregard from Aphrodite cabin. The Stoll brother, as always, were paired together. Clarisse and Lee Fletcher, Finley's brother, were teamed up. Annabeth was paired with one of Finley's siblings as well.

"Percy Jackson and Finley Jones."

"Nice," Percy grinned as he turned to his best friend.

"Your armor is crooked," Finley stated as she moved to fix his strap.

"Grover Underwood with Tyson."

Both made to protest. Goat Boy, as Tyson calls him, scared him silly just as Tyson scared Grover.

"No complaining!" Quintus countered. "Get with your partner. You have two minutes to prepare!"

Tyson and Grover both sent pleading looks to Percy, who gave them encouraging nods.

"They'll be fine, Seaweed Brain," Finley assured. "Let's go. Focus on staying alive."

The sky was still bright when they entered the forest. However, the trees cast shadows making it look close to midnight. Despite it being summer, it was cold.

Once they found tracks (which was almost immediately), Finley and Percy followed the trail. As they crossed a creek, they heard twigs snap.

The Stoll Brothers were tripping through the woods and cursing. One would assume being the sons of Hermes, God of trickery and mischief, they'd have some sort of stealth.

After the Stolls passed, Finley and Percy forged deeper into the west woods. Here it was wilder as were the monsters that lurked here.

"This is where stopped looking," Finley declared in a whisper as they came upon a large rock overlooking a marshy pond.

Last winter, this is where Percy, Grover, Annabeth, and Finley had given up on looking for Nico. Finley, of course, was still looking, but she didn't put all her efforts on it. She focused most of her energy upon camp. 

"I saw him last night," Percy stated. 

"What?" Finley asked hopefully. 

He told her of the IM. He explained how Nico was working with some ghost to bring Bianca back from the dead.