Chapter 4

Your POV

You sit on a small stone chair underneath the blossoms, stroking your hair softly. Your father clears his throat beside you. You look away from him. He sets himself down next to you on the chair and glances up at the blossoms. "My, my," he says softly. "What beautiful blossoms we have this year. But look, this one's late."

He points up at a blossom that hasn't yet bloomed. "But I'll bet that when it blooms," he picks up the comb on your lap and places it in your hair, "it'll be the most beautiful of all." You smile weakly at your father, until you both hear drums in the distance.

"What is it?" you ask. Wait... oh no. Please. The war.

Illıllııllıllı

You peek through the gates but your mother stops you. "[Y/N], stay inside," she says. Grandma Fa points behind her. You run over to the wall and climb up on a slanted piece of metal that lets you up onto the roof.

"Citizens!" a man in a blue hanfu announces. "I bring a proclamation from the Imperial City. The Huns have invaded China." Everyone gasps. The Huns? You've heard of them before. A gang of dangerous criminals that want to bring down the Emperor. "By order of the Emperor, one man from every family must serve in the Imperial Army."

Minsheng. Baba. Your eyes widen. They'll be sent off to war. "The Hsiao family!" the man calls. "The Yi family!"

"I will serve the Emperor in my father's place," a man says. An idea strikes you.

"The Fa family!" the man continues. "The [L/N] family!"

"No!" you gasp at both the family names, climbing down from the roof and running to them. Your father and Minsheng's father walk toward the man. They both bow. "I am ready to serve the Emperor," Minsheng's father says.

"Father, Uncle, you can't go!" you shout, stepping in front of them. (I don't literally mean Uncle, for those whose mind goes straight to Sweet Home Alabama. I did a little bit of research to see what you call your friend's parents in China, and I think you call them Auntie and Uncle. Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

"[Y/N]!" Minsheng, his father and yours gasp.

"Please, sir, our fathers have already fought bravely," you plead.

"Silence!" the man gallops over. "You would do well to teach your daughter to hold her tongue in a man's presence."

"[Y/N]," your father says softly, but with venom behind his tone, "you dishonour me." Grandma Fa takes your arms gently and pulls you away.

"Report tomorrow to the Wu Zhong camp," you hear the man say.

"Yes, sir," your father says. You drag your feet along the floor and follow behind. Minsheng catches up to you.

"[Y/N]..." he says.

"They're going to be killed," you whisper. "They're going to be killed because we let them."

"I know, I know," he consoles. "I don't want my father going either, but I have a plan."

"And that is?"

"I'm going to take his place without him knowing."

"Minsheng, no! No, you can't do that! Please," you yell, grabbing his hands as tears threaten to spill. "What will I do if I lose you?"

"You won't," Minsheng reassures.

"Yeah, because that's comforting..." you scoff. "Minsheng, if you go, I'm going with you. I'm not letting you go alone."