Chapter 5

Third Person POV

The writing on the tombs glow a bright blue colour, a transparent figure releasing itself from the prison behind the words. The figure, a round man, creates a staff and holds it in his right hand. He glances up at the dragon hanging from the ceiling. "Mushu, awaken," he orders.

The dragon shakes lightly, then a black puff of smoke forms underneath it. A red dragon, that could easily be mistaken as a lizard, collapses onto the floor and bounces numerous times. "I live!" Mushu says dramatically, rising from the floor through the smoke as if he is Frankenstein. "So, tell me what mortal needs my protection, great ancestor. You just say the word and I'm there."

"Mushu," the great ancestor says.

"And let me say somethin'," Mushu interrupts. "Anybody who's foolish enough to threaten our family, vengeance will be mine!" The great ancestor rolls his eyes as Mushu growls.

"Mushu!" the great ancestor repeats but with a greater tone. He extends his hand out to the statues that sit on stands attached to the walls near the ceiling. "These are the family guardians. They...?"

"Protect the family," Mushu sighs.

"And you, O demoted one?"

"I ring the gong."

"That's right," the great ancestor nods. "Now, wake up the ancestors." Mushu picks up the gong reluctantly and sighs.

"One family reunion comin' right up," he mutters. He starts smashing the gong with a mallet. "Okay, people, people, look alive! Let's go, come on, get up! Let's move it, rise and shine. Y'all way past the beauty sleep thing, trust me."

The other words on each tomb begin glowing and all the ancestors emerge one by one. "I knew it! I knew it!" one of the ancestors protest, poking her staff and the ancestor next to her. "That Minsheng and his girlfriend, [Y/N], were troublemakers from the start."

"Don't look at me!" the other ancestor says. "Minsheng gets it from your side of the family."

"He's just trying to help his father, [Y/N] too," an older ancestor debates.

"But if they're discovered, [Y/N] especially, Fa Zhao and [L/N] [F/N] will forever be shamed," another ancestor explains, using an abacus to explain himself. "Dishonour will come to both families. Traditional values will disintegrate."

"Not to mention, they'll lose the farm," an elder ancestor with glasses adds.

"My children never caused such trouble," the first ancestor from before says. "They all became acupuncturists."

"Well, we can't all be acupuncturists!" the ancestor with a very long beard yells.

"No!" the older ancestor shouts. "Your great-grandson's friend had to be a crossdresser!" All the ancestors begin shouting over each other, arguing as usual.

"Let a guardian bring her back," an ancestor suggests.

"Yes, awaken the most cunning," another adds on, grabbing Mushu and holding him up to one of the statues.

"No, the swiftest," the abacus ancestor snatches Mushu and holds him up to another statue.

"No, send the wisest," the older ancestor holds Mushu up to a statue of a monkey.

"Silence!" the great ancestor demands. "We must send the most powerful of all." He extends his hand out to the Great Stone Dragon statue outside the window. Despite the statue obviously being of great importance, Mushu begins snorting.

"Okay, okay, I get the drift," Mushu laughs, "I'll go." All the ancestors start laughing louder than a pack of hyenas, but Mushu on the other hand, isn't amused.