Chapter 15

Your POV

You slowly back away from Shan Yu, inching closer to the edge of the roof. You search your robes, but find nothing to fight with. However, you find a fan in your back pocket. "It seems that you're out of ideas," Shan Yu grins.

He stabs through the fan with his sword. You spin the fan around and the sword flies out of his hands. You snatch the sword from the air and hold it over your head. "Not quite," you snap. You point it at his neck and shout, "Ready, Mushu?"

"I am ready, baby!" he shouts. Shan Yu growls and tries to pounce on you, but you push him back with a kick to the face. You crouch down and swipe your feet under his, knocking him over. You snatch his sword and stab his clothes down, locking him in place.

Mushu comes flying at him with a rocket on his back and you quickly jump out of the way. "Get off the roof, get off the roof," you mutter over and over again as you grab Mushu and Cri-Kee. Behind you, fireworks and explosions go off, signalling that Shan Yu has been defeated.

You leap off the roof and grab onto a light on a piece of rope. You jump down and land on Minsheng and Shang. You roll over and Shan Yu's sword lands in front of you. "[Y/N]!" Minsheng screams, pulling you into your arms. "You're safe, oh my God, you're safe!" He squeezes you tightly to the point you can barely breath.

"Minsheng, I can't breathe-" you croak. He releases you awkwardly and gives you one of his dashing smiles. Your expression softens and you throw yourself onto him, hugging him tightly. He sighs into your neck, hugging you back. The crowd cheers wildly behind you.

"Where is she? Now she's done it!" you hear a familiar voice yell. You quickly get up and brush yourself off. Chien-Po, Ling and Yao appear next to you, still in their dresses. "What a mess! Stand aside," Chi-Fu orders. "That creature's not worth protecting."

"She's a hero," Minsheng and Shang growl.

"She's a woman!" Chi-Fu argues. "She'll never be worth anything."

"Now, listen here, you son of a-" Minsheng snatches Chi-Fu's collar.

"That's enough," you hear the Emperor's voice say. He slowly walks down the stairs, his expression anything but welcoming.

"Your Majesty, I can explain-" Shang begins to say. The Emperor holds his hand out and silences him. Everyone steps away, revealing you. You rub your arm awkwardly. You bow in front of the Emperor and then look up at him.

"I've heard a great deal about you, [L/N] [Y/N]," the Emperor states. "You stole your father's armour, ran away from home, impersonated a soldier, deceived your commanding officer, dishonored the Chinese army, destroyed my palace, and-!"

You wince. You can't take anymore of his yelling and scolding. You feel the tears start to come through, but you hold them back. You can't cry in front of the country, in front of the Emperor. "And... you have saved us all," the Emperor finishes off softly.

You look up at the Emperor, surprised. He smiles down at you and the scolding from before suddenly disappears. He bows at you instead and Chi-Fu follows with a yelp. You look back at Shang, Minsheng, Chien-Po, Ling and Yao. They straighten their backs and all bow down at you.

It takes you a moment to register what's happening. You look back at the crowd and they're all on their knees. You place a hand to your heart and swallow your tears. "Chi-Fu," the Emperor calls.

"Your Excellency?" Chi-Fu answers.

"See to it that this woman is made a member of my council."

"Member? What?" he stammers. "There are no council positions open, Your Majesty."

"Very well, you can have his job," the Emperor grins at you.