Chapter 6: The Guardian

The ground shook with each, heavy step the beast took towards you. The sound of his sharp axe dragging against the polished floors was like nails on a chalkboard to your ears. He laughed menacingly as he slowly stomped forward, the look of blood lust within his faded yellow eyes.

Suddenly you found it hard to think. To breathe. It was like your mind had shut down on you completely and you were left alone in the dark. Every other sound around you faded and only thing your terror allowed you to hear was the sound of his heavy steps approaching you. In the distance you could hear the Mandalorian yelling to you. He sounded muffled as if he was underwater, but you couldn't hear him. You were stuck in a trance of some sort, unable to escape. Mobility in your arms and legs were gone; you were completely frozen in terror.

The moment you saw his axe swinging down towards you, you were pulled right back into reality—literally. The Mandalorian had forced you to move out of the way right before the axe split through you. You were still trying to regain control of yourself as the Mandalorian pulled you up from the ground.

"Didn't you hear me?! I said move!" he snapped.

The floor cracked as he pulled his axe up from the spot where you were sitting and shot his head in the direction of Mando's voice. You could practically see steam puffing from his snout as he spoke. "You can't run from me!" his deep voice boomed as he began to charge.

Like the coward you were, your fear pushed your legs to retreat and you easily gave into that feeling as usual. Mando seemed to have preferred standing his ground since he lifted his fist up at the beast. Your panicked thoughts must've caused you to completely forget about the cuff situation you were stuck in, and you attempted to run. Just as when Mando set off the torch on his wrist to burn the beast, the cuffs jerked both your wrists when to pulled on them, causing both you and Mando to fall over. The cuffs further secured its hold on you, making you bite down in pain, but your focus didn't stay stuck on your now pulsing hand for long. The beast held his axe high above you before throwing it down. You and Mando both tried to roll away from the axe's deadly blade, but again the cuffs annoyingly pulled on you as you both attempted to roll in opposite directions.

You squeezed your eyes shut as the axe slammed on the bare spot on the ground that was between you and Mando. There wasn't much room between you two and the impact was close—way too close. You not only felt, but heard the sound of the sharp steel crack the floor. That wasn't the only thing you heard the axe break though.

You turned to see that the axe had cleanly broken through the chain that bounded you and Mando together. Relief was in your eyes as they made contact with Mando's helmet. It was hard to tell if he had the same look as well, but that feeling only lasted a second.

"WHAT?!" the beast standing directly above you spoke with rage, his head turning in all directions. "WHERE DID YOU GO!"

Confusion swept across your face and you glanced back at the Mandalorian next to you. He quickly held his now freed hand up to where his lips would be and held only his index finger up, wordlessly telling you to stay quiet. You nodded a couple of times in understanding and kept still.

The beast must've been completely blind and only relied on his ears. He huffed angrily while he patiently listened for you. The room fell quiet and stayed that way for what felt like hours. You could smell the beast's horrendous breath as the scent of it slithered through the air and found it's way to your exposed nose, making you slightly jealous of Mando's luxury of having his helmet on.