Chapter 10: The Stars

The stars reflected off his smooth helmet perfectly as you watched him pilot the ship. Your cheek rested on your palm and your messy hair laid scattered on your shoulders, desperately in need of a brushing. He didn't seem to notice your staring, and neither did you. Your eyes had been fixed on him longer than you're aware of.

It's been quiet for sometime now, but it wasn't the usual uncomfortable silence that commonly occurs between you and Mando. This silence was peaceful—calming even. Watching the stars move along as you cruised by them added to the delight of it. This was much needed relaxation.

The silence was definitely a contrast to the noise from earlier. Not long after you've taken off the child kept you busy. He had you practically running circles in the cockpit, chasing him around to keep him from getting into things or eating them. You were surprised that he didn't immediately settle down for a nap after you left since the little guy was forced to stay up the whole night. Unlike the child, you were exhausted, but you kept your exhaustion hidden in order to keep the Mandalorian from distraction. He needed to focus on getting you home in which he had promised to do so shortly after he gets a new motor for his jetpack. You'd prefer he take you home first, but you didn't complain.

You were in the beginning stages of drifting off in your seat until the sound of Mando's voice caused you to jump back into consciousness.

"Oh, were you asleep?" he asked turning his head towards you, in which you responded by shaking your head with a yawn. "Sorry, I was gonna tell you to check on the kid. It's been...too quiet around here." he said with a hint of suspicion in his modulated voice.

"Sure." you said in mid-yawn while pushing yourself up.

"I can check later if you're tired-"

"No worries." you waved at him and began to walk off. Although your back was turned, you could feel his stare locked on you.

"Hey," he spoke again, and you paused. "why did you..." he froze, seeming a bit hesitant to continue on. Curious, you turned to look at him and he sighed. "Why did you come back for me?"

Your brows pinched together. "What do you mean?"

Again he couldn't get the words out. He voice cut a little in failed attempts to speak. "We didn't get along very well. And I'm..." Once again he seemed to struggle with the words that were resting on his tongue. Eventually he sighed in both frustration with his confidence and in defeat. "I'm just not used to being rescued by people who hate me."

"I don't hate you." your true feelings spilled right off your tongue. You caught yourself, but it was too late though. He heard what you said. The quickness to your response was definitely odd and most likely added to his suspicion—if there was any. It was hard to tell with him and you could only assume. "I don't necessarily like you either." you recovered. "I felt that I owed it to you after you helped me out."

His helmet slightly nodded, a little hum sounding from it as he thought. "Well, thank you."

"I should be thanking you." you sat down. "Because of you the kid and I are safe. I didn't think I would ever see a mandalorian do something so selfless like that."

"We're not as wicked as your people make us out to be." he stated. "Not all of us anyway."

Again you found yourself questioning the reliability of the elders' knowledge—or what they chose to teach anyway. It's unclear as to why they told you the things you were told, what details they are hiding from you, or what parts of history they have twisted. The stories they've told you could all be a complete lie for all you know. The Mandalorian in front of you definitely wasn't like the Mandalorians in the stories. Sure, he was cold, threatening, and frustratingly uncommunicative at times, but there was more to him. More than what you had initially thought.