Chapter 7: The Rescue

It didn't take long for the news to reach the village. The child was gone and the queen was livid. The villagers, in desperate attempt to please their beloved queen, were furiously scurrying around the kingdom's perimeter in search for the child that was secretly hidden away safely within the satchel by your side.

You stood quietly on the castle's edge, looking down at the ant-like villagers below. It was chaotic down there, and you were lucky that you were able to fly back up to the roof safely without falling right into the mob. The cool, nightly wind blew your hair in your face as you turned your head to check on the child that sat comfortably in the satchel. His large eyes looked right up at you when you lifted the satchel's flap. You couldn't help but smile.

"I'm gonna need you to be really quiet while we're in there. Kay?" you told him with a certain firmness present within your tone, but you were also gentle when with it. You wanted him to understand the importance of keeping quiet, but then again you weren't sure if he understood a thing you said at all. Still, you spoke to him as you normally would to a child in hopes that he does understand.

Closing the flap, you let out a shaky breath. That's when you noticed that your hands were already jittering with fear. Not only that, but heart was already pounding against the walls of your chest. The fear inside you was trying to take over, trying to persuade you away from the mission. You fought the negative thoughts it fed you by taking deep, slow breaths. The technique had some effect on your nerves, but you knew that they'll quickly worsen the longer you contemplate about breaking back in.

Sucking it all in, you immediately, and clumsily flew yourself to the tower window where you and Mando had broken into earlier that night. To your surprise, the guards you killed were still there, making you wonder how often they do a security check on all parts of the castle.

Must not be often.

You stepped over the corpses and made your way down the halls. As you wondered about the halls, you realized that you have no clue where they could be hiding Mando. A dungeon perhaps is a good guess. If they do have one—which most kingdoms do, you figured the best way to go is down. But how do you get down? There is not a single staircase in sight, only boring and almost repetitive paintings of the queen hanging perfectly on the walls. Every turn you make led you to exact replica of the hallway you just walked through. This place was a maze!

You were about to make a turn down yet another identical hallway until—

"Could you please take that thing off? It's ugly." an unfamiliar voice spoke, causing you cease your roaming the moment were about to turn the corner. You slapped a hand over your mouth and pressed your body against the wall.

"Ugly?" another voice repeated, surprised. "I think it's cool!"

You heard a sigh. "Just please take it off before the queen sees it on you. It'll be our heads if she saw us wearing armor other than the armor she picked for us."

You were curious to know what they were talking about and wanted to sneak a peek of this armor they possessed. What if it's his? Your nerves on the other hand fought and pleaded against that idea, but you needed to know if it was Mando's. It could be a clue to his whereabouts.

"The queen's too busy to be up here right now, so it stays."

You held your blaster tightly in your fist, finger  resting on top of the trigger. You breathed slowly and deeply as you prepared yourself for combat. The adrenaline was quickly building up inside you and your heart rate increased dramatically. Suddenly you found it hard to focus on your breathing—to focus on anything! You tried to regain control, but that made it worse. The thoughts of them capturing you and ripping the child away from you made your entire body shutter. You were scared. You so desperately wanted to prove to yourself that you were able to do this with the confidence of a true Valkrien, but that now seemed impossible. This entire mission now seemed impossible. You couldn't do this.