chapter 14: d-14

"I have never been so scared of losing
anyone else in my entire life."

<If It Is You - Jung Sung Hwan>

Standing by Taehyung's bed, Jisoo felt pain like she had never, ever felt before.

"Taehyung-ah..."

Jisoo choked the words out, still unable to believe that she was finally standing before Taehyung, in flesh - reunited at long last. She staggered one step forward, feeling her knees buckle before her and desperately trying to stand ground.

"Taehyung-ah..." Jisoo's voice trembled as she tried to hold back her tears as much as possible. "I'm here... wake up... will you... please...?"

Jisoo arrived at his bed side and reached out her hands towards his. She was finally able to hold onto him for the very first time, but Jisoo didn't know how to. In a way... she didn't know if she had the right to. She had always been the one taking a step back from him, after all.

"Ya..." Instead, Jisoo grabbed hold of his blanket and shook it gently. "Kim Taehyung... aren't you going to... open your eyes... and look at me...? Hm...? Ya- Kim Taehyung..."

But Kim Taehyung didn't move. Of course he wouldn't - he had been unconscious for a month now... there was no reason why he'd awaken all of a sudden, simply because she was finally here.

"Jisoo-ssi, please control yourself-" Namjoon grabbed Jisoo gently by her shoulders, trying to pull her back. "Doing this is not going to help, Taehyung has been like that for a while now-"

"Dr Kim-" With tears streaming down her face, Jisoo turned to Namjoon. "Exactly how long... has he been... lying down here... like that?"

"Today is exactly the 33rd day that he has been in coma-" Namjoon reported gravely. "But Jisoo-ssi, may I ask, how do you even know our-"

"Why?" Jisoo kept going on, not giving Namjoon a proper chance to speak. "What happened to him, Dr Kim? I- he- why?"

"Our Taehyung... he has brain-"

"I know he has brain cancer!" Jisoo just wanted to know what exactly knocked Taehyung out in that way... and Namjoon wasn't providing her with the answers fast enough. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to yell... I know that his condition was worsening... but why... why would he suddenly just faint in the corridor like that? He has been taking his medicine properly... why would his condition just-"

"Hold on a second-" Namjoon interrupted with a confused frown. "How do you even know all this-"

"It doesn't matter, does it!" Jisoo raised her voice once more, getting increasingly frustrated as time passed. "Not right now... please- please tell me how- why- Dr Kim, please-"

"The rate of growth of the tumour superseded the rate at which the medicine was helping-" Namjoon explained patiently as he tried his best to calm Jisoo down. "It was pressing against an important part of his brain, basically - and oxygen couldn't reach it... and that's why he's in his current state right now."

Jisoo couldn't believe her ears.

"So... like... what?" Jisoo stammered with tears welling up in her eyes once more as she glanced down at a lifeless Taehyung. "What now... Doctor? Is he gonna wake up soon...? This is... This is only temporary... right? Taehyung... Kim Taehyung... he's gonna be just fine... am I right...?"