Chapter 4

Gwyn slept in the library again that night, unwilling to intrude on normal life at the House, even with Nesta there. She sighed, pouring over another book for Merrill, searching for that one bit of information she needed. Nothing. She placed the book on the ever-growing pile by her side, and pulled another one towards her, resigning herself to staying well past nightfall, if she didn't finish this by morning, Merrill would skin her alive. She lit a candle, then another, pushing back the darkness around her, Azriel had said that it would be safe, but one could never be too careful.

"What are you still doing up?" Gwyn's head shot up at her sister's voice, Nesta breezed down the corridor to claim the chair opposite Gwyn, "You should be asleep."

"So should you," she countered, "I'm just finishing this off, then I'll get some sleep, Hey!" She complained as Nesta swiped the book off the counter, and grimaced as she read the title,

"Ugh, what a travesty,"

"It is actually quite interesting once you get into it a bit," Gwyn insisted,

"I'll pass,"

"What? No smut and it's not acceptable?" She teased, chuckling at Nesta's eye roll, "What are you here for, Nes?" Gwyn asked, finally giving up trying to covertly grab the book back,

"I came to find you, you seemed a bit off at training this morning, and I didn't get to see you yesterday when we got home."

"I'm just tired," Gwyn said, hoping Nesta wouldn't see it for the lie it was,

"Gwyn."

"I'm fine, Nes."

"Az told me what happened with the library's darkness. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah. I'm just a bit shaken, it didn't hurt me, and Azriel said he thought it was just curious, that it didn't even want to hurt me anyway."

"Are you alright sleeping here?" No. Yes. No. She hadn't gotten any sleep last night from fear, but nothing had come for her, dangerous or otherwise. Azriel hadn't come to check on her.

"It's fine," Nesta narrowed her eyes,

"You're exhausted, Gwyn, did you even sleep at all last night?" Gwyn shook her head, "Come back up to the House, the bedroom you used a couple days ago is still set up for you." She couldn't. Azriel already thought that she was a pathetic mess, with him just across the hall, she'd be tempted to go to him at every shadow, every nightmare. Nesta noticed her hesitation, clasping her hands across the table, "You won't be a nuisance, you know, it's only me, Cassian and Azriel up there at the moment."

"I know. I just, I don't know." Nesta squeezed her hands gently, giving her space to talk, "Azriel's been looking after me ever since, and I don't want to burden him, if I'm there, he'll want to protect me, and I'll be tempted to let him. I don't want to get in the way of anything."

"You're worried we might think you pathetic?" Gwyn shrugged, "Gwyn, you could never be pathetic for wanting some space from something that scared you. Come back to the House, let us help if you need, don't try to be on your own, even if you know it's safe, let us, let me, help."

"Okay." Nesta was right, she did need someone else she really trusted around, just to remind her that she was safe now, even with the darkness confining itself to the lower levels, she was still nervous, another few days and she'd be fine, she just needed to unscramble her nerves a bit, that was all. Gwyn smiled as she let Nesta lead her out of the library, and up to the House.

*****

Azriel paced in front of his fire again, freezing at the sound of a door, and twin feminine laughter, Gwyn was here, Nesta had gotten her to come back. His shadows swirled around, quicker than usual, dancing with the tones of her laughter. He cracked the door open, pretending that they'd woken him, and feigned surprise at seeing Gwyn there,