Chapter 24

Gwyn had hoped to keep moving, but the distorted corset was keeping her from fully filling her lungs, leaving her panting for breath at the slightest hill. Surely they were far enough to be able to rest now, for a few minutes at least,

"Az! Stop, I can't keep going in this dress," she panted, and he nodded,

"Let me find your leathers," he gestured towards his still-unconscious brother, "If he wakes up, whack him," Gwyn snorted, but nodded, taking the chance to check on Laylah. The young female had walked without complaint for the past few hours, but she had to be tired, and her shoes were ridiculous, Gwyn would have to see if any of hers would fit.

"Laylah," Gwyn gestured for her to sit down beside her, "How are you doing?" She murmured, then laughed at herself, "I'm sorry, I understand what it is to have your whole life turned upside down. I don't know what you need right now but we're not going to let anything happen to you,"

"I don't know what I need either. It's not like I'll miss my father, but he is my only family, it'll take some getting used to,"

"We're here if you want us, or we can help getting you set up somewhere, Rhys is always willing to throw some money around, especially to help someone,"

"Really? He always seemed, I don't know, not cruel exactly, but detached, completely disinterested in individuals," Gwyn chuckled,

"He'll be glad to hear that, but it is an act, mostly to ensure the Camp Lords remember who he is, so they don't do anything stupid, obviously it wasn't enough to put them off this time, but also to protect the Night Court, it puts off potential invaders as well," she explained, and smiled at the glimmer of understanding in Laylah's eyes, thanking the Cauldron for her intelligence. "And Laylah, what you did, coming to find us to warn us, that was really brave, thank you," she glanced over to where Azriel was waiting, giving them a moment to talk just out of earshot, "You might have saved his life, and another of my friends, so thank you,"

"You guys are actually together then?"

"Yes, that at least was real." She couldn't help the smile when she looked towards him, "I'm sorry we had to lie to you, we didn't have much choice I'm afraid, there was always a risk that you might inadvertently betray us,"

"I know, it's okay," Laylah smiled,

"Gwyneth?"

"Just Gwyn, that's what my friends call me," Laylah swallowed, but smiled,

"Can you teach me to fight? Like you did, and Azriel, maybe I can be helpful, I'd like to be if I can,"

"I'm nowhere near experienced enough to teach you, but," she added before Laylah's disappointment could settle in, "We do have daily sessions for females wishing to learn, Azriel and Cassian teach them, I could get you involved if you like?"

"Thank you, that would be brilliant," she glanced towards Azriel, "I think he's got your stuff, you'd better go change, that can't be comfortable," she chuckled, wincing at the sight of the corset, the boning inverted where the arrow had struck.

"You have no idea," Gwyn laughed, but did slip away to change, freezing at the realization that there were no trees to hide behind, not even a rock, they were still stuck on that open plain. She glanced around for some long grass, treading back towards where they'd left Laylah, and her head snapped sideways at a sound. Quiet, barely there, but she narrowed her eyes at Azriel's brother, who fell still, but she was no fool, he'd moved, so she nudged him, encouraging him to try to get up, pretending she hadn't noticed. When he moved, she grabbed hold of one of the bags, swinging it as hard as she could into the side of his head, and winced at the crash when he crumpled to the floor, eyes rolling back in his head as he fell.