12. In the end...

A great fire blazed in the middle of the tents and huts. All around, the Northuldra had set up tables with delicacies from the forest. They poured stew out of a large pot and Northuldra beer flowed out of barrels. Kristoff and Ryder came straight up to the sisters with two mugs in hand. "And there is the risen one! Today we celebrate life", Kristoff shouted and pressed the overflowing mug into Elsa's hands. Without hesitation, she took a huge swig. 

Her gaze slid around the circle of people around the fire and instinctively searched for a certain shape. Directly opposite, behind the blazing flames of the fire, her gaze caught on two sparkling eyes. Honeymaren smiled at her. 

"Listen", suddenly Yelena's voice resounded over the fire. "Tonight we celebrate life! The life of the forest, of nature in harmony - with us humans, animals, plants and the spirits of nature. We all live together in delicate equilibrium. We got to feel: If one part rises above the other, our balance is disturbed. And without balance... we do not only lose our present but also our future. The fire demon was furious. It wanted to deny all life its meaning. But together with our friends from Arendelle and the spirits of nature, we were able to deny its meaning instead. Elsa... ", now Yelena lifted her mug and looked directly at Elsa. "Thank you for saving all of us. Your courage, your selfless sacrifice, has shown it once again: It is not hate that defines us, no - it is love. It keeps us all together and the world in balance. It gives meaning to everything. Never forget that! And now raise your glass: To life and love!" 

Now all the jugs rose towards the night sky and a whole chorus of voices shouted like one mouth: "To life and love!" Elsa had stepped back behind Anna because she was uncomfortable with all the attention. "Wrong direction, Elsa", Anna said, stepping back in turn. "You shouldn't hide! You should be approaching someone..." She winked and pointed with her thumb in the direction of the fire. Elsa's eyes met Honeymarens again. It was almost like she was waiting for her. If Elsa wasn't just imagining it... "Go on", she heard Anna hiss. 

But at the same moment the Northuldra's flute and drum playing died down and the crowd around Honeymaren broke up. All heads turned to a man who had appeared behind her. Eetu stood there on a piece of tree trunk. But not only that - there were countless reindeers right behind him. "Oh... oh no," she heard Ryder next to her. "What? What does that mean?" Anna asked. "You'll see in a moment", Kristoff said. 

"Honeymaren", Eetu started to speak and now Honeymaren turned around. "For many moons I have felt that something connects us which goes way beyond camaraderie. So much has been said about love. I am not a man of big words. But when, if not now, on this evening, would be the perfect moment to assure you of my love? And to ask you: Will you marry me?"

Many of the Northuldra, younger and older, had clasped their hands over their mouths or hearts. Elsa thought she was freezing into an ice statue. Anna's hand slipped into hers as if to tell her: No matter what comes next - I'll be there. 

A painfully expectant silence hung over the community. Only the fire continued to crackle, unimpressed. Elsa saw Honeymaren's gaze flicker once to Yelena, then across the floor, to Ryder and back again. Did she imagine that Honeymaren had glanced at her too? 

Now Honeymaren put a hand onto her heart. And then she said: "Eetu, my good friend..." It was so quiet, you could hear the rustling of the wind in the smallest leaves of the highest treetops. "I thank you for your trust. Your courage. Your love." Honeymaren took a deep breath. "But I cannot marry you." 

Here and there you could hear a murmur and shocked gasp for air. 

"My heart is with someone else. I can't be the woman that you deserve. I am sorry."

While the heavy silence fell over the scene again, all eyes stared at Eetu. The tall man did not move and yet suddenly seemed to slump. At first he stood as rigid as a pillar of salt. Then he got down from the tree trunk. He kept his eyes down, turned on his heel - and stepped firmly out of the camp towards the forest. Immediately two of his friends rushed after him. Honeymaren watched him go. 

Slowly people turned their gaze away from her and began some conversations in order to cover up the uncomfortable situation. Honeymaren stood there for several more breaths, alone. Then she too went away in another direction, with her eyes downcast.

Only when she had disappeared into the trees, Elsa was able to avert her gaze from Honeymaren. She looked at Anna, who made a face contorted with pain: "Well that ... that was really... hard!"

"Poor Eetu", Olaf sighed.

"I can imagine how awful that must feel", Kristoff said.

"But also for Honeymaren," Ryder said, looking at the forest. "Do you think I should go after her?"

"No", Anna said immediately, holding him back. "That's a good thought, but - I think there is only one person who should be following her right now."

Kristoff looked confused. Ryder's eyes followed Anna's. Anna looked at Elsa. And she felt the blush shoot up in her cheeks. 

"Elsa? For a 'woman to woman' thing or something?" Kristoff asked and Anna rolled her eyes, "Something like that!" 

Elsa felt her heart beating in her throat. 

"Come on" her sister said and nodded encouragingly. 

"What are you waiting for?" Olaf asked her. 

For a moment, she looked down at the little snowman questioningly, but he smiled as happily as ever. And then Elsa went off.