FORBIDDEN

The bold blend of black cherry and warm spices lingers on my tongue before rolling down the back of my throat

The bold blend of black cherry and warm spices lingers on my tongue before rolling down the back of my throat. Robust alcohol soaks into my blood, helping to ease the nexus of pain occupying my chest and I sink into the plush cushion of the charcoal sectional. Tingling with a slight buzz, I smile graciously at my host, "Thank you for dinner, it's been a while since someone cooked for me."

Nearly emerald eyes sparkle with the too-bright twinkle that comes from slight inebriation. Emptying the last of the Cabernet Sauvignon into my goblet, Knox dismisses my gratitude, "Ahhh... It's not a big deal. I like cooking and I rarely get to share it with anyone." He returns the carafe to the coffee table and offers, "So, in that regard, I should be thanking you."

"Huh. I never pictured you as one for the culinary arts."

His features sour with injury as he prompts, "Oh? ...and why not? ...because I'm in the mafia?"

Mortified by my inadvertent insult, the blush of shame creeps over me and I splutter, "Wha-pffft... Nooo. That's not-hmmm..."

He barks with laughter, slapping the side of my arm, "Relax, E. I'm fucking with you."

"Ah. Haha... Jerk."

That stupidly charming grin widens as he leers me, "You're cute when you're flustered."

The compliment catches me off-guard and once again, I feel my cheeks burn. Casual flattery or not, it's been a while since I had this kind of attention and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it on some level. Kole may tell me I'm beautiful, but that's invariably followed by a speedy departure and a secret tryst. Affection tends to lose its luster when you know you're being discarded for an eager slut. Instantly, my thoughts wander to his current whereabouts and the constant aching blossoms into the familiar stab of jealousy.

Wonder who he's with this time.

Sensing the change in mood, Knox tilts my chin up, "You okay?"

The gesture proves to further remind me of Kole and I blurt, "Is there something wrong me, Knox? Did I do something? ...Not do something?" Greyish green flashes with anger. Mistaking it for irritation, I rush, "N-Nevermind. I didn't mean to-"

"Why are you with him? You don't deserve to be treated like this."  To my surprise, his question holds no judgment or reproach, only concern. Angular features soften with compassion and the pity I see in his kind eyes forces me to bow my head in sheepish self-consciousness. Gentle fingers tuck an errant tendril behind my ear as he murmurs, "Eden, you don't need to hide from me. I see how much he's hurting you. He may be my best friend, but that doesn't mean I agree with what he's doing." We study each other for a moment. His gaze falls to my mouth and his thumb brushes over my bottom lip, "You're too good for him."

Gripping his wrist, I tug lightly on his arm, "Knox-"

Sighing, "Sorry..."  he drops his hand, "Despite his actions, Kole loves you. I - we all - love you."