EXIT STRATEGY

Kole's arms coil tighter as he nuzzles the patch of sensitive skin below my ear, "Mmmm

Kole's arms coil tighter as he nuzzles the patch of sensitive skin below my ear, "Mmmm... So fresh." His breath blows tiny tingles of warm air across the back of my neck. I shiver, involuntarily, and he murmurs, "Nervous? Don't be. I won't hurt you... I'd never hurt you."

Except for shattering my heart.
Asshole.

Wary, I spin to face him. The second our eyes meet, his features brighten with a dazzling smile, "Hi, Beautiful." A familiar gesture, he knuckles my chin, "How are you?" slowly tilting my head from side to side so those uncommonly green irises can examine me for injury or fatigue. Seemingly satisfied, his gaze shifts to my hair. Winding his finger in a newly-colored strand, he studies it with genuine curiosity before tucking it gently behind my ear. I'm suspended by the intimacy of this moment - caught in limbo. Half of me drowning in the memory of his touch. The other half screaming...

Goddamit run!

Cradling my face, he prompts, "Well? Aren't you gonna say something?"

In an attempt to put distance between us, I press my palms against his chest, keeping him at arms length. When I respond, my tone is flat and unfeeling, "Hello, Kole."

Surprised by the lukewarm greeting, he falters, "Ba-uhem... Baby. It's-ummm... good to see you."

"Of all the places, I should've known I'd run into you at a strip club."

Releasing me, he spreads his hands in appeal, "Wait... It's not like that. We own it. I'm here on business," and I use the opportunity to reverse several paces.

I gotta get the fuck out of here.

While I scan the room for an exit strategy, I scoff, "Of course..." drawing quotes in the air, "...business." My lips purse with disgust, "Some things never change. Tell me, Kole..." and I jerk my chin at the women on stage, "...How many of them have you fucked?"

Tracking my movement, his head swings to the flock of strippers and back. My brow arches in question and panic flickers across his handsome face. Shaking his head, "None. I swear..." he squares with me, "...I haven't been here before tonight."

"So, it's only a matter of time."

Panic turns to desperation as he takes a tentative step forward, "Baby Doll, that's not-"

"I hate that fucking name!"

Paused mid stride, his jaw flaps open. That piercing emerald levels its wide stare, "I-I'm sorry. I didn't..." Unsure of himself, Kole hesitates, measuring his words. Each second drags on for an eternity until at last, he petitions, "Please, hear me out." He softens and once again, his hands spread in supplication, "Just seven minutes. That's all I ask... Seven minutes for seven months. I think you owe me that."