20. Dubai دبي

One Tower, Sheikh Zayed Road

The white confines of her bedroom transformed as the bright afternoon sun filtered in through the sheer curtains. Right beside her was her analog clock that read 6 o'clock. Across her bed was the view of the superstructures on the other side of the road, not too great in the day, but fantastic during the night.

She'd just come back from Mauritius this morning, and all she planned was to be lazy for once. Order Indian and read a book to put her back to sleep. But an abrupt panic hit her.

Last month, the gang agreed to request the same dates for their very first vacation. But since none of her friends were the type who planned things, their twelve-day holiday loomed close with no known itinerary. Spontaneity was her group's collective strongest trait, apparently. She shut her eyes, having no energy to even think. If worse comes to worst, she could always fly to Hawaii to visit her parents.

What will be, will be, the notes sang in her head. And just when she was about to doze off, her phone rang.

Malcolm Thompson is calling...

"Ah, she finally answers my call!" he exclaimed.

"Please tell me you're coming with some food. I'm starving and I'm too lazy to move," she said, knowing they shared the same craving for spicy Indian.

"I have something even better. Dinner and drinks at my place tonight. It's my birthday."

"Really?" she sat up, surprised it was today as he looked like a May baby. "Aww, happy birthday, Big Bear!"

Danielle started calling him that since he was a cuddly, caring big guy everybody wanted a hug from.

"Thanks, now rattle your dags. You wouldn't want to miss the cake," he said, sounding like he'd already had a few beers, men yelling in the background, most likely watching a rugby game.

Malcolm had been there for her since the day they met on her first flight to Geneva. When she misplaced her car keys at the Crew Headquarters the other day, she called him to pick her up.

He knew about the situation she had with Eric and Wolff. When he brought Indian takeaway and a few beers before her Mauritius flight, he listened.

"Don't prolong it," was all he said.

It wasn't the advice, but a lending ear and his valuable presence that she needed the most.

The Millenium Tower

In her chic white jumpsuit that showed off her bare back,Veronica entered the building in haste, purse in one hand, a champagne bottle in the other. As she struggled to press the elevator button, she looked up at the lobby's clock. It was already half-past nine, and she was late.