21. Geneva

Aéroport de Genève

His fabulous time in Dubai crashed downhill too quickly. When Eric came out of the airport that evening, the biting cold hit his face. It was a terribly somber day to be out. As he got in the taxi, his phone rang.

"Comment ça va? You're here?" Wolff asked.

"Oui, je suis là. See you at your place," he exhaled, staring at the muddy slush of snow on the pavement, unable to erase the memory of that night, his careless arrogance destroying that last chance.

Vandœuvres

Vandœuvres

They sat for an hour, laughing and talking over slices of saucisson and a good bottle of local brew. It's always been that way, and nothing seemed to have changed.

By the time they opened the second bottle of beer, Wolff knew he had to ask him. But before he could say anything, Eric spoke.

"I was with Veronica last night."

Eric was about to dreadfully announce that he'd taken Veronica's heart.

"You took her out on a date?"

"No, I was at Malcolm's birthday party and she was there."

He breathed a sigh. If it ever happens, he'd be devastated to the core, but will try to be happy for him. Any girl would be lucky to date his best friend.

"How is she?"

"Still the same."

In his mind, he saw the same beautiful face, and the same banging desirable body that consumed his thoughts in bed and in the shower.

"She told me you aren't talking anymore," Eric began.

He flinched upon realizing they've spoken in depth.

"I've been sending her flowers and messages, but she stopped answering my calls. I don't know what I did."

He hadn't slept with anyone since the night of his last concert. Thankfully, he had her beautiful face carved into his head. He fantasized over how the curves of her body hugged her thick winter clothes so well, and how she comfortably slithered out of her dive suit, her delectable breasts and satin smooth skin teasing him like caramel on ice cream.

"Did she say anything?"

"Something was bothering her," Eric sighed.

"We slept together," Wolff blurted.

"So you came to see her in Dubai?" his jaw tightened. He'd already seemed down the moment he arrived.

"Well, no. But I flew to Capetown and Casablanca to surprise her. But that's not how it happened."

"You're full of shit, man. You didn't," Eric laughed.

"It was on video call, but we kept it clean. I watched her doze off first. And then, we woke up together. Actually, she woke me up, so she must have heard me snore," he gave a silly grin.