chapter ten!

𝖜𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖍𝖎𝖕, 𝖙𝖊𝖓

* * *

*    *    *

* * *

( 𝖗𝖊𝖚𝖓𝖎𝖔𝖓 )

"Okay, enough is enough!" Monique snapped.

It had been five days since the super moon. After the initial shock of the loss of her magic, Elle.... went off the deep end.

Magic was in her soul. Her very being. The loss of such power and warmth left her feeling more empty than she ever thought possible. Was this how normal people felt? How she felt before Peter Hale gave her the bite? Elle could scarcely believe that she ever went through life feeling so cold.

It wasn't just the lack of warmth within her, magic was an emotional power. The forceful removal of such a thing from within her had left her emotionless. She was becoming reckless, anything to feel the slightest hint of joy or happiness. Damn it, she would even take heartbreak all over again instead of the constant numbness.

Elle rolled her eyes at Monique. Okay, she was being stupid in the hopes of triggering something to work again, but she knew if it was Monique in her position the French woman would be just as bad.

"Would you just leave it?" Elle huffed.

"You came back drunk and alone at five in the morning! Anything could've happened to you! You don't have a defence any more Isabelle! If something happens to you, you're just as fragile as any other human out there."

Elle rolled her eyes. It's all she had been hearing from Monique for the past few days. She knew the risk - that was literally the point. "You're not my mother." She reached for a wine glass but her hand got slapped away.

"I might as well be." The glare on Monique's face was one Elle recognised to be bad news. She might have pushed her too far.

A sigh was released before Elle slumped onto a kitchen stool with Monique leaning on the worktop. "When do the others get here?"

"Tonight."

Elle repressed an eye roll. "Well can I have one last night? When were all here, we can go a bit mad and the real work starts tomorrow?" Monique stayed quiet and Elle held her breath. "Do you really want to miss out on Mar's dancing?"

Monique's scowl cracked. For such a powerful voodoo witch, Marie Laveau really did have some bad dance moves up her sleeve. "One night." She swore. "For old times sake."