chapter seven!

𝕶𝖎𝖓𝖌, 𝖘𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓

* * *

*    *    *

* * *

( 𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖇𝖔𝖗𝖔𝖘 )

A harsh tug on her arms and scraping along her back helped to rouse the blonde.

Out of the overturned jeep, Theo stood over a now-conscious Stiles with a fire extinguisher in hand while the semi conscious Elle lay next to him. Stiles woke coughing the smoke out of his lungs, blood splatter drying on his face. Elle was grunting and wheezing but hadn't yet opened her eyes.

Theo bent down to help her, lifting her head to make it easier to breathe as she choked on the fumes. Eventually, her eyes peeled open and she regained full consciousness.

Both boys were concerned for her as she managed to sit up by herself. Blood littered her face as smoke clung to her skin, blackening her cheeks and nose with ash. Hair tangled, she shoved it out of her eyes as she inhaled fresh oxygen greedily.

Once she knew she could breathe, she turned to check on the other two who were staring at her in genuine worry. "I'm fine."

Neither of the males looked convinced but turned away as they noticed how uncomfortable she appeared to be. "The body's gone." Theo started as he looked to Stiles. "Someone's taken it."

All three stared at the vets knowing all of that was for nothing.

Climbing to her feet steadily, she moved away from the burning vehicle and towards her own car parked further away. "I need to go."

Theo let her brush past him but Stiles stopped her. "You're in no fit state to drive."

Elle slumped. "At least I still have a car." She pointed out. "I need my bed."

Stiles charged past Theo and stole the keys out of Isabelle's hand. "Then I'm driving you back."

Elle didn't even put up a fight. Her chest burned and her limbs ached. Her head was pounding and her shaking had returned with a vengeance.

This time, the veins had grown further up her arm and edged towards her collarbones. Their previous state of painless menace had been replaced by a deep burning that left her unable to use her arm nearly at all.

She readjusted her hoodie and waved a pathetic goodbye to Theo as she clambered in the passenger seat of her own car. Stiles had slid into the front and gave a brilliant smile when he adjusted the seat back as far as it could go.

Elle rolled her eyes when she caught it. Giving a cough, she spoke hoarsely, "Just drive, Stilinski."

The ride was silent. Isabelle was nearly asleep when Stiles had reached their homes. Her face pressed against the cool glass. Stiles didn't want to disturb her but he needed to return to Theo and his jeep.