Chapter 1

Something was coming I could feel it. Everyone could. I could practically cut the atmosphere in the castle with a knife the past weeks. It only seemed to be getting worse as the days went by. I stared out the window, my platinum hair was so bright it usually shone in the sun, but not today. The sky was cloudy, unusual for Stalrion, it was rarely anything other than bright and fresh. Sunny with a soft breeze.

I decided to go and find Nerida knowing she'd most likely be tucked away in the library reading. My friend was rarely anywhere else, she much preferred hiding away with a book avoiding any royal duties she was supposed to attend.

As I walked through the grand halls I couldn't help but notice how on edge everyone looked. Stalrion was normally a happy place. The people much like the weather, warm, bright and breezy. I continued on, reaching the heavy oak door of the library. Nerida was sitting in her usual corner wearing a casual green day dress rather than the beautiful jewelled gowns her elder sister Eden donned. My friend was a graceful beauty, hair a soft mousey brown, eyes a beautiful emerald green. "What are you reading today then Ner" I asked, she jumped in surprise, too engrossed in her book to notice I was a few feet away from her. She let out a small chuckle. "The encyclopaedia of monsters and beasts" Nerida replied. I held back a shudder, my friend really was intrigued by the most bizarre things. I would rather not think about all the horrid creatures that lurked in the forests and shadows. I was about to start saying so when the door slammed open.

Thorin burst in. His pretty face so similar to Neridas looked gaunt, the circles around his eyes dark. Usually so smart and polished, today his hair was ruffled, his clothes looked like he'd been wearing them since the day before. "Thank gods you're here, do not leave the castle, either of you" He breathed, as if he'd been running around looking for us.

Thorin was Neridas cousin, the three of us had grown up together along with Eden, Neridas dreadful older sister and Ivo her brother. I would one day marry Thorin, it was decided since our childhood. We loved each other as friends who'd grown up together and would get on well, although I knew we would never have the deep passionate love of a couple paired by the gods. But it was worth it to keep everyone and the land of Stalrion safe.

"What in the world Thorin?!" Demanded Nerida. He lowered his eyebrows, his usual upbeat humorous disposition gone today. "Exactly what I said, do not leave, ideally stay in your rooms" He spat impatiently. "There are rumours of enemies in our territory, we dont know if the rumours are even real at the moment. Paired with this unusual weather we are not taking any chances, it could be a sign". He stormed back out not even bothering to say bye.

We stood silently for a few moments, too shocked to speak. There had never been so much as an attack since we'd been alive, in over 20 years. Stalrion was a peaceful place by nature, war was avoided at all cost. I looked over at Nerida, she stood still as a statue, her eyes looked haunted, mouth parted. "Not to worry Ner, im sure it wont be true, what reason would anyone have for attacking? Why don't we go up to your rooms and have the maids send up lunch'. She seemed to shake her self "Ok, I do hope your right Kyira".

We went up to Ners regal chambers, before we even sat down maids came in with trays of fancy little sandwiches, cakes, a pot of tea. We sat and ate speaking very little. Not daring to mention Thorin's warnings although its all we both thought of. We spent much of the rest of the day together playing cards, chatting idley. This is how it often was between us, easy calm friendship enjoying each other's company.

Nerida was really my opposite. She was the shy one, I was always the first to talk to others, I dreamed of adventures and being outside. Where as Ner preffered being inside, warm with a book and a cup of tea. We were just as different in our looks, Ner had mousy brown hair, pretty emerald green eyes and a soft cherubic face. My hair was platinum, contrasting against my dark steel blue eyes, my face was sharper with dagger sharp cheekbones. Much of my looks had to have been gifted from my mother, who died during childbirth. We did not mention this though. We barely talked of my parents at all. My friends mother had unfortunately met the same fate, which was all to common in Stalrion. Ners father was the king, he was a kind man. He had allowed me to live in the palace being brought up by nannies and tutors alongside his own children since my father had died when I was 5. My father had been the kings good friend, I remembered little of him.