Chapter 9

I felt dizzy, with the loss of my bracelet. It was like I had lost a body part, like I wasn't whole with out it. Two large hands were wrapped around me, steadying me. He said something but I couldn't hear it. The world was spinning and my whole body trembled. I tried to focus on the man, looking up to his unusual eyes. They were drawn in with worry. I had the strange urge to comfort him and ask him what was wrong.

I felt his hands gently shake me. "You need to take off my bracelet" he said, his voice softer than I'd heard it before. He held out his wrist out to me. His bracelet was slate grey, with onyx stone in the shape of wings and had tiny bright yellow stones dotted around it. It reminded me of him flying at night, the stars filling the sky above. I reached my shaky hands out and removed his bracelet. It took no effort, and then I was holding it in my hands. It was heavy and I could feel it warm to me. Like it wanted me to wear it. The man took it out of my hand and moved to put it on my arm. He snapped it on carefully, I nearly sank to the ground with the relief of feeling relatively normal again.

He passed me my old bracelet and held our his arm for me to put it on him. How could this be happening? My chosen mate was from Carathen, he was a savage who had helped kill my whole family and destroy my home.

I hesitated, his eyes were pleading, He was gently shaking and I could tell he was feeling as I had. It felt unbearable to see him like that, without thinking I put the bracelet on his large wrist. My bracelet had been small, a perfect fit for my narrow wrist, but somehow when I clasped it on him it fit perfectly.

The man touched his fingers to the bracelet I was wearing, his bracelet. Darkness bled out of his fingers and into the bracelet. There was no point stopping now, I't was impossible to stop once a bracelet was removed. It would have just killed us both. I did the same to the bracelet he wore, the one I knew so well. White light streamed out. I jumped back a step after, studying him wearily. He was smiling at me now, a real smile. My traitorous body had the urge to jump into his arms, but I wouldn't. I could feel a deep pull to go to him, to stay with him forever.

"I can't believe you did that" I said my voice trembling. He moved to take a step towards me, I forced myself to take a step back. "I don't even know your name! You killed my whole family and destroyed the country I called home" Shadows grew in his eyes. "I didn't kill your family" he growled his voice deep. Butterflies flew in my stomach at the sound. "My name is Arrin I'm sorry it happened like this Kyira, but I had too. You were going to keep leaving and fighting me. No where is safe at the moment. The king would want you to himself if he knew of you. I needed to keep you safe" his voice was edged with rage. I wanted to punch him, to throw my power at him, but I physically couldn't. I turned round to walk back to my room. I could not run now, he'd find me straight away and because of this stupid mating bond, I did not really want too anyway. "Where is Nerida?" I asked. He stayed silent. So I walked back to my room. I opened the door and let Averil walk out, her eyes were red from crying. I didn't bother apologising. Maybe I was one of them after all.

I walked in and closed the door behind me. Looking around the room, it was dark and grey and lifeless. So this was to be my home them. I'd probably be locked in this room until I'm wanted or needed. Not much better than if the king took me. I lay down in bed feeling defeated, what was the point anymore. I was stuck here.

I heard a knock on my door some hours later, I ignored it. The door peaked open and Averil was there along with another lady, she was taller with black hair tied in a bun. "We're here to get you ready for dinner" The new woman said. Her voice was strong, she didn't appear  nervous like Averil had. "Leave." was all I replied. They looked at each other. "Very well" she said and motioned for Averil to follow her. I stayed in bed for the rest of the day and night.

They came again in the morning, to get me ready for breakfast. I wanted to be petty and stay in bed again but I was starving. I hadn't eaten since in two days. They drew me a bath in the large roll top bath in my bathing chamber. I bathed as they lay out some perfumes and cosmetics. I left the bath and let them work on my hair and face. Averil combed out my hair while the other lady rubbed a variety of things on my face. She finished off by applying some perfume to my neck and wrists. Her eyes stayed on my new bracelet for a few seconds, glancing up at my face and back down to the bracelet and then continued on. Averil pulled out a dress of the large wardrobe in the corner, I let them pull it over my head and then looked in the mirror. The dress was black with long sleeve, the bodice was lace tight against my upper body and flowing out gently at me hips. My face had been painted with black kohl around my eyes and dark red stain on my lips. Averil had left my long white hair down, it curled gently at the ends. I let them lead me down to dinner.

I followed them through the stone clad hallway and down the stairs I hadn't made it past the day before. We reached a set of double doors and the taller woman held the door open for me.  I walked in and saw Arrin sitting at the head of a large wooden table. He was wearing a dark cloak again, his near black eyes bore into me, he smiled at me. I resisted the urge to go to him. Beside him was a blonde man, his hair was light but darker than mine. His eyes were a very light brown, he was facing me with a look between curiosity and contempt. I looked to the last person sitting at the table. She was wearing a black dress not unlike my own. Her brown hair was combed to one side, her green eyes shone. I let out a breath of relief and ran to her. I pulled her into my arms, hugging her tightly. When I released her I sat down in the seat beside her. "Who's this" I asked staring at the light haired man. I wasn't even pretending to be polite anymore. I was beyond caring. "This is Kiercen" Arrin drawled, offering no further explanation. I kept my gaze on the man, studying him. I made sure to arch my lip in disgust. I heard Arrin laugh beside me and Kiercen turned away to face him. Nerida looked nervous beside me. I wondered why she was here, surely it would have served them better to hand her to the king.