Chapter 11

I insisted to Averil and Adelaide that I was eating in my room that day, they reluctantly agreed. I spent the next weeks like this. Only leaving to take books out of the library. Each day my maids would try to persuade me to join the others for the meals. Averil had even asked if I wanted to join her on a walk around the grounds a few times, I declined. I didn't see Nerida at all she had knocked on the door a couple of times, but soon got the message. Sometimes I felt Arrins presence close but I ignored him, ignored the urge to go to him. I spent countless hours staring at the stark stone walls longing for home, I read many books. The emptiness grew in me though, I wasn't used to being alone like this. Me and Nerida had spent every day together as children and it carried on until adulthood. The books had proved good company, but I was longing to have some human contact, to talk to someone. My thoughts were beginning to eat me up.

My maids arrived one morning, bringing my food straight up now, they did not even bother trying to persuade me anymore. "Would you like to go on a walk?" I said to Averil. Adelaides eyebrows shot up in surprise. Averil beamed "I would love too, my lady". I bathed and dressed and we left for the gardens. It was cold outside, so much colder than Stalrion. I realised this was the first time I had been out here since we arrived, how long had it been? Maybe a month now? I had stopped counting. I stopped to look at a large statue of a man with wings. The statue looked similar to Arrin, but it wasn't him. "That is king Cassius. He was prince Arrins grandfather." My mouth dropped open. "Arrin is a prince?" Averil eyes opened wide, she looked extremely nervous. They had all been keeping it from me on purpose. I bet Nerida knew too. "So he is related to the current king" I snapped, more of a statement than a question. Averil hesitated, before saying "yes he is the kings first cousin. I promise he is nothing like the king. Please believe me." She whispered the last bit. I looked at her pretty face, so close to tears. Probably expecting me to lose my temper. "Its fine Averil, I don't care" I said truthfully. I couldn't bring myself to care that much anymore. We continued our walk of the gardens. As we approached the woodland, I noticed a single plant of snowdrops. I don't know why but the sight filled me with joy, the first time I had felt it in weeks. I kneeled down beside them, gently taking the petal in my fingers. Averil just watched me curiously. I got back to my feet and gave her a small smile. She smiled back at me genuinely. We walked back to the house, Something caught my eye in one of the windows, black eyes looked at me. Arrin stood at the window of the study, I looked right back at him and a hint of unwanted excited hit me.

Averil talked me into joined them for dinner later that evening. Averil and Adelaide had dressed me in another gown it was black in a slim fit, with a slight slit up the leg. My hair had been pinned up to the back of my head and they curled little strands that hung out. My lips and eyes painted were painted again and I wore diamond earrings that matched the colour of the new bracelet. I looked in the mirror and almost didn't recognise the person staring back. I looked just like one of them. Atleast I didn't have bags under my eyes anymore from crying and my skin looked slightly healthier from the fresh air today. I walked to the dining room feeling slightly nervous, the urge to run back to my room was strong. I kept going, I couldn't live like that anymore. It was destroying me. I was not going to forgive them or bow down to the 'prince' but I had to do something.

The woman I'd seen in the gardens with them weeks before was sitting beside Ner. Arrin sat at the head of the table again, his arms where behind his head lazily, his legs casually stretched out. I noticed him tense slightly as I walk in. The room went silent. I took a seat two spaces away from Kiercien. The lady with the grey and black hair looked at me smiling. She cut the awkward tension "Hello, I'm Rosamaria. Arrin's sister. You can call me Rose." I looked her up and down, her eyes were dark but not quite as dark as Arrins. They looked slightly alike, but I wouldn't know they were related without being told. She noticed me comparing them and said. "We are half siblings. We share the same father." I didn't reply, just nodded slightly and turned to Ner, who was looking carefully at her plate, as if waiting for me to start shouting at her. Next I peeked at Kiercen, his face was blank but he offered me a nod of greeting. Finally I looked at Arrin he gazed at me intently but wasn't smiling his usual cocky smile. I could feel the feeling of relief radiating of him. Rose began talking about people I had never heard of. Kiercen joined in the conversation and Nerida occasionally chimed in too. I sat in silence nibbling at my food. My anxiety was high, I felt like I was an unwanted guest here. The rest of them spoke so easily to each other. I had nothing to say to them, even Nerida now. I silently wished Averil was her. At least she didn't seem to mind my company and I liked hers. I could feel Arrin keep looking at me, but he still hadn't spoken to me. Ner hadn't even so much as looked my way yet. My anxiety was growing high, I couldn't sit here much longer. I shot to my feet and quietly said "excuse me" before running to leave. I don't know why I even gave them that courtesy.

I ran back up the hall but came to a halt when someone grabbed my arms. Arrin stood behind me his, worry covered his face. He stroked his fingers gently over my cheek, the sensation made me shiver. "Please" he said to me his deep voice pleading. "What" I replied, it came out barely a whisper. "Please forgive me, please don't lock yourself in your room all day and all night" He ran a hand through his hair. " I can't bare it any longer." I could feel his sadness as if it where my own. Before I could reply Nerida came jogging up behind him. She pulled me into her arms, I let her hug me for a moment before turning around to my rooms, I didn't look back.

I joined Averil on a walk again the following morning, I noticed two people digging up the grass up the side of the house. "What are they doing?" She looked towards where I was pointing. "Hmm, Im not sure. Maybe building something for the prince". We found a nice spot to sit and laid down a blanket. I couldn't face going to breakfast this morning so we brought a picnic instead, despite the cold weather. Averil told me about the history of this place. It had originally been where the king and queen of Carathen lived, for hundreds of years. But when the current kings father became king he commissioned a huge palace and gave this to his brother. His brother was Arrin and Roses father, who had then left it to Arrin. After eating I lay down on the blanket staring up at the cloudy sky, it seemed to be getting darker. The huge creature id seen before appeared infront of us, Kiercen. I watched before my eyes as he turned back into his normal body. He was out of breath as if he had been running for miles. "You have to go in, Averil clear this up and follow us inside." The edge in his voice made me worry, what does he have to be scared of? I ran with him, following him into the study. He pretty much pushed me into Arrins arms. Arrin caught me gently and kept his hand around my waist, pulling me close to him. He looked at Kiercen, waiting for an explanation. Kiercens handsome face looked pale. "The king is coming" was all he said.