Chapter 12

Kiercen rushed away with Nerida, they were going to his brothers house until the king left. It was too risky for her to stay. Eden may be accompanying him and I don't think she would be glad of the family reunion. I wondered why they would risk that, if the king found out he wouldn't be happy I'm sure. I stayed with Arrin and Rose. We waited in the formal living room in silence for a while. I could feel the sheer rage radiating off of Arrin and Rose didn't look much better. She was scowling, which looked strange on her usually cheerful face. Arrin studied me. "The king is not a good man, you'll have to be careful around him. Just stand next to me and follow my lead and whatever you do, do not use your powers" his low voice growled. I scoffed, as if I'd been expecting the king to be a good man. Arrins eyes narrowed. He stepped closer "I'm not joking Kyira." I rolled my eye "fine" was all I replied.

A loud knock sounded from the hall "Wait here" Arrin ordered to me and Rose. I stood and Rose did the same coming to my side, giving my hand a quick squeeze. It took me by surprise, but I offered her a small smile. My heart was thundering and my palms were sweating. I tried to hide my nerves and push down my anger, forcing my face into a blank expression.

The door opened and a man walked in followed by two huge guards, Arrin followed behind. Rose dropped to a low bow and I copied. It felt unnatural to bow down to this disgusting man. "Hello cousin" A nasal voice said as we straightened. "Your majesty" she replied looking at the ground. I looked at the king. He had silver grey hair and dark eyes, that were slightly too close together. He was tall but shorter than Arrin and Kiercen and he was considerably slighter, to me he resembled a green bean. I couldn't help thinking Arrin look considerably more kingly. I thought it strange that neither the king to Rose had wings. The kings glance snapped over to me, he looked me over from my head to my toes and back up, his gaze lingering on the v neck of my dress. Arrin stepped beside him, his expression masking the murderous anger that I knew he was feeling. "This is my mate Kyira" the kings eyes didn't leave me as he said "Very nice, where did you find her" he replied, as if I wasn't standing right there. "Stalrion" Arrin replied. The kings eyes widened in surprise. He walked towards me and gripped my chin, looking at my face. "Her mother was from Carathen" Arrin said, no longer doing a good job of masking his anger. The king released me, I wished I could go and wash my face where his grotesque hands had touched me. I took a step closer to Rose, not wanting to be close to him. "I believe my own mate has spoken of you before" He said talking directly to me now. I nodded "Yes your highness, I grew up with Eden." "Queen Eden" The king snapped. "Forgive me, Queen Eden" I corrected reluctantly. He looked me directly in the eye. "How I enjoyed taking Stalrions royal families heads. We have them on display outside the castle, the king and his nephew I believe."

My heart sank and rage built. My powers were begging to be used. He was purposely baiting me and I had to try so hard to ignore it. The king continued "Unfortunately we having yet found the prince and princess. You wouldn't happen to know where they are hiding would you. Eden told me you and her sister where the best of friends" His nasally voice was laced with hidden malice. "No your highness, Im sorry I don't". I began to smell smoke and realised it came from the kings hand. It slowly filled my lungs making me cough, he didn't stop and I was close to passing out. "Stop Mikale" I heard Arrin's deep voice, the room grew dark with Arrin's power. The smoke abruptly lifted, I fell back against rose as I caught my breath. Clutching my throat. Rose held me up. The guards held their weapons, readying to attack Arrin on the kings command "Now now cousin, no need for that. I was just giving her a taste of what will happen if I find out she's lying." King Mikale walked towards the door, before turning round. "It was lovely to see you as always, you must come and visit us at the castle soon. I insist. I am sure Eden will be ecstatic to see her old friend". Rose dipped to a bow pulling me to do the same, I still felt light headed. Arrin didn't bother, he dipped his head slightly.

As soon as he left, I sagged into the nearest chair. "That fucking prick" Arrin seethed."I can't Rose, I can't let him do this when anyone of us could so easily kill him. I have to let him nearly suffocate my mate to death and threaten her." Rose shushed him "Just be patient brother" She replied. He flexed his wings repeatedly, after a while the room began to lighten and I felt his rage die down.

I could still taste smoke in my mouth and my chest felt tight. My mind was on what the king has said of Thorin and king Cicero. My stomach turned and tears burned at my eyes. He would do that to Nerida if he found her too. Ivo was still alive and missing, maybe there had been truth in what Ner had told me about the attack on Carathen. "Is Nerida safe?" My voice was croaky from the smoke. Rose replied "For now, but we will need a plan. Mikale is actively looking for her and who knows where he has spies." I looked up at her. "I know somewhere" I said. My eye catching Arrins. "Do you remember the mountain? Where you tried to attack me" I said bitterly. "She'll be safe there for now. I could stay with her." I chanced. "No" Arran replied firmly. "Thats a good id.." Rose said before he interrupted. "I said no" He growled. "Ill send some guards up there tomorrow to check it out. For Nerida" "They won't find it, the cabin is glamoured. You would have to take me or Ner." I said expecting him to shut down the idea of me going. " Fine. We will leave tomorrow after breakfast." He said before leaving and slamming the door behind him.