Chapter 22: Unexpected Surprise

Shikamaru's POV

After bringing Amaya her medicine I went to pay a visit to Choji.

"Hey Choji, how you feeling?" I asked when I saw him sitting up in bed.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He demanded angrily.

"Whoa, slow down. What didn't I tell you?"

"That Amaya got hurt too." I frowned.

"I didn't tell you because I knew it would just make you upset." he frowned.

"She was the one who brought me back to the village to get treated...even going against your orders...and yet..."

"Choji."

"How is she?"

"She's in some pain, but she's resting nicely at home."

"So when did the two of you start dating?" I blushed a little.

"A few months ago."

"Months?! Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I..." I didn't have an answer for that.

"You two make quite the couple though. The genius and the Uchiha." He joked.

"yeah, yeah..." I rolled my eyes.

"bet she's a great kisser." He smirked.

"W-what?!" I stumbled over my words, causing him to laugh.

"I'm joking."

"Um right..."

"But I guess I shouldn't be surprised. With the way she looks at you, you can tell how much she cares about you." I looked at him surprised. "You never noticed, but she always had such a sparkle in her eyes when she looked at you."

"Really?" he nodded.

"I think that's why she's so hard on you sometimes. She can see you're an amazing Shinobi, she wants you to be the best you can be." I chuckled.

"Sounds about right."

"So when are you going to tell her you love her?" This nearly made me choke on my own saliva.

"W-what do you mean?"

"It's obvious you do. You look at her the same way. Plus you're super protective of her. At first I thought it was just because pf what happened with Itachi, but even on our normal missions you would protect her."

"She means a lot to me." I confessed.

"Then tell her that."

"I know..."

"Now go on, before she wakes up."

"You're starting to sound like Asuma."

"There's nothing wrong with that." I jumped as Asuma's voice came from behind me.

"Asuma, what are you doing here?"

"Well, I came to visit Choji and Amaya, but if what you said is true I'll have to stop by later and say hello." He winked at me.

"I..."

"You two always have been closer than most Genin or I should say Chunin now."

"Man you guys are being a real drag today." I muttered.

~

Amaya's POV

When I woke up again, I noticed Shikamaru was gone.

He must have gone to visit Choji again.

I pushed the blankets aside and sat up slowly. There was some discomfort and pain but other than that I was okay for the time being.

"Please come in, Lady Hokage." I heard Mrs. Nara say from the front of the house.

Lady Tsunade must be coming to see how I'm doing.

Footsteps came down the hallway and then a soft knock on the door.

"Come in." I called out. The door opened and Lady Tsunade walked in with Shizune.

"How are you feeling?" She asked as she looked at my wound.

"I feel fine, there's some discomfort and pain, but that's to be expected when you take a kunei to the stomach." I gave her a small smile.

"Honestly..." She sighed. "You could've died." I looked at her surprised to see she looked upset. I had heard she lost her little brother and lover during the war, so I guess she didn't want to lose her niece too.

"I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't be so reckless. I just couldn't stand by and watch her kill Shikamaru. Part of being a shinobi is accepting the risks that come with each mission." I stated. "But it is true that I put my life at risk, for that I am truly sorry for making you worry Lady Tsunade." She looked at me shocked.

"You really are my niece thats for sure." She chuckled.

"We just love a little too much and in the end that hurts all the more when we lose someone close to us." I muttered as I thought about my mother.

"You got that right." She placed a soft kiss on my forehead. "Now you need to get some rest. The wound for now is fine, but it's nowhere close to being healed." I gave her a small nod. She went to leave. She stopped and looked back at me. "I'm glad you're safe..." She whispered before leaving with Shizune. I smile lightly, Tsunade may act tough but she does care very deeply about the people of the village.

Once I heard the front door close and all was quiet again, I made myself get up. The pain that followed was terrible. 

"Ugh...!" I groaned as I wobbled a little. 

"What are you doing?!" Shikamaru demanded as he rushed to my side. 

"I...wanted to go outside." He frowned. 

"You're nowhere close to being healed. You need to take it easy."

"Can we still go outside?" I asked lightly. 

"Fine..." He carefully helped me outside, where we sat down by the little pond. 

"Lady Tsunade stopped by."

"Yeah, I saw her when I was coming home."

"How was Choji?"

"He's getting back to his old self." I smiled brightly. 

"Good. He really is amazing...all of you are." I admired. 

"What do you mean?"

"You all took on those people alone and won." 

"Amaya, you helped me."

"You didn't need me."

"W-what?" He seemed surprised. 

"You're incredibly smart. You would have come up with something even if I wasn't there."

"Amaya..."

"That's why I want to learn medical ninjutsu. Because I can protect my friends and comrades."

"You're doing to be amazing at it." Shikamaru praised. 

"Thanks...I'm not exactly bursting with confidence."

"You're gifted with the powers of the Uchiha and Senju you can master anything." I grabbed his hand.

"Thank you."

"Of course." We sat in silence for some time before Shikamaru spoke up again. "Amaya?"

"Yes?"

"I...I love you."