Chapter 16: Confession

As time went on we were able to slowly get back to normal. Naruto and Jiraiya were going to bring Lady Tsunade back to the village to name her the Fifth Hokage. In the meantime, we went about our training and missions as usual. I yawned as I stretched in the morning, Shikamaru still snoring in the next room over. I sighed, going to the kitchen. Mrs. Nara wasn't there much to my surprise.

"Amaya?" I turned on my heels to see Mr. Nara standing there, rubbing his eyes.

"Mrs. Nara out?" I questioned.

"She had to go over to Choji's house for something."

"I see...Shikamaru not up?" He shook his head no. "Well I guess I'll go for a morning stroll. Tell Shikamaru not to worry too much." I waved back, heading out into the blinding sunlight. I walked alone the river, soaking up the rays.

"You really like this river." I looked back to see Shikamaru standing there.

"The water calms me." I stated as if that would explain everything.

"Of course. So..." He trailed off, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Yeah?"

"Do you want to grab a bite?" He asked after taking a deep breath. It took me a minute to remember our deal from the Chunin Exams.

"Is it my choice?" I chuckled. "I mean you still owe me that date." I mocked, not wanting him to know my heart was pounding in my chest.

"Uh, yeah. Where do you want to go?" He asked.

"Let's do the usual." He just nodded as we went in the direction of the restaurant. Thankfully it was still early so we were pretty much alone in the place as we sat down, ordering our food and making small talk. "So why today?" I asked.

"Huh?"

"Why ask me today?"

"Uh well---I just, you know, wanted to..." He stumbled over his words, I could see the heat coming into his cheeks. I giggled softly.

"Never thought you'd be the shy guy."

"Uh..." He just didn't know what to say, it was kind of cute.

"Also, I have a question for you." I said, remembering the firework show. I had never forgotten those words I heard him say.

"Yeah?"

"What did you really say at the firework show?" He looked like a deer in headlights.

"W-what do you mean?"

"Don't lie to me. You know what I'm talking about." I spoke sternly. He fumbled with some of the things on the table, not wanting to answer the question. "Shikamaru." I demanded. Finally, he sighed in defeat.

"I...said you were beautiful." I felt my own face flush as my heart fluttered.

"You...think I'm beautiful?" I said stupidly.

"Yeah, I do." We both sat in silence a the food was brought over. Neither of us spoke a we started eating.

"Amaya?" he finally spoke after a few minutes of silence.

"Yeah..." Now I was the deer in headlights.

"What do you think about me?" I could see him look down, he must have thought that I had a pretty low opinion of him.

"Do you think that low of yourself, Shikamaru?" I asked, his eyes widened as he looked at me surprised. "You're incredibly intelligent, you're brave when it counts, why don't you have more confidence in yourself?" I stated.