Chapter 15: Attack of the Leaf

*month later*

The finals of the Chunin Exams were starting tomorrow, so there was a festival to celebrate. Shikamaru wasn't thrilled about it as we walked around the festival.

"Ugh I really don't want to fight tomorrow." He complained.

"You'll be okay. You're smart and you've been training this whole time with Asuma and Choji." I chuckled. He looked at me out of the corner of his eye. It was hard to tell with the lights, but I swore I thought he was blushing.

"Want some?" He asked, handing a bag of popcorn over.

"No thanks, I need to watch what I eat still. Though my bones have healed, my lungs still aren't completely." I explained.

"Right sorry." I shook my head.

"Its alright." We walked around in silence for a little longer before turning to head back to the house. "Wait!" I blurted out suddenly.

"What?"

"Can we go to the river? I heard there's going to be fireworks." He chuckled at my kid-like attitude.

"Sure, but only for a little bit. We have to get a good night's rest."

"Yeah, yeah you just want to go and sleep."

~

When we got to the river, no one else was there. The fireworks were starting, so we sat down on the grass.

"Wow! It's beautiful!" I smiled in awe.

"Yeah, you are." I heard through the loud popping.

"Wait what?" I asked, looking over to him.

"Huh?"

"What did you just say?" I pressed.

"That they're pretty." He stated blankly. I was confused because I knew I heard him right.

"Okay..." I muttered, looking back at the fireworks. I could see him looking at me out of the corner of my eye. I didn't say anything as we went on watching the show. After the show ended we went back to the house. Shikamaru's father stumbling in drunk while his mother screamed profanities at him. We walked past and separated at my room. I looked up at the ceiling as I laid down. My mind wandering back to what Shikamaru said. Did he say I was beautiful? Or was I imagining this? My eyes started to droop as sleep came to me. The next morning I woke up early with Shikamaru. We ate breakfast and headed over to the arena.

"Good luck." I smirked as he went to walk out onto the field.

"Thanks." He smiled back. I went to sit with Choji in the stands, who was already opening a bag of potato chips.

"Hey." He smiled as I sat down.

"hey, already stuffing your face?" I joked.

"Got to have something to eat for a good match." I chuckled.

"Right you are my friend." He handed me the bag. I took a couple to munch on as the first match started. "Naruto vs. Neji." I whispered, placing a hand over my chest.

"You going to be alright?" Choji asked worried.

"Yeah, just wondering how this will play out."

~

Ultimately Naruto won, which surprised everyone. Sakura was beside us cheering. This brought Sasuke's words back to me.

Thank you for saving Sakura.

Did he like her? I knew before our clan was killed he would always ask Itachi how to talk to a girl with a red ribbon in her hair. Sakura immediately turned downward as they postponed Sasuke's match because he wasn't here yet.