Chapter 6: Uncovering Secrets

I didn't even remember falling asleep that night, but I woke up with sweat dripping down my face. My eyes wandering everywhere, trying to find the threat that made my skin crawl. There was nothing. But it felt as if there was something else there, hiding in the shadows waiting until I let down my guard.

Knock!!

My heart pounded wildly as a loud knock came from my door.

"Hey Amaya, you up?" Shikamaru called from the other side. I calmed myself as best as I could, getting up and walking towards the door.

"Yeah, just give me a sec..." I muttered the reply, fixing my hair. I opened the door and he looked at me with a nervous expression.

"Are you okay? Your sharingan..." He trailer off as I forced the piercing eyes away.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just a rough night is all." I gave him a forced smile as we went into the kitchen to eat. Shikamaru's mother smiled at me as I sat down.

"Morning Amaya, how did you sleep?" She was putting on a brave face knowing good and well that I was feeling like utter crap. 

"I slept okay, thank you Mrs. Nara." I smiled at her. We ate in silence after that, afterwards Shikamaru and I headed out for training. 

"You know you don't have to lie to her." I looked at Shikamaru, his hands shoved in his pockets as usual. 

"Would you rather me tell her the truth? Tell her that I can't sleep without seeing the face of the murderer of my clan? And that now that murderer is after me for the secret my family has guarded for years? Is that what you want me to tell her?" I asked, staring him down. 

"I guess not..." He muttered as we stopped by the large oak we were supposed to meet at. 

"I know you're worried about me, Shikamaru. But don't. I'll be okay. I can take care of myself." I muttered as Choji started walking over with Asuma. When Choji saw the bruises on my neck and arms he rushed over. 

"Are you alright!?" I smiled lightly. 

"Yeah, I'll be okay. Shikamaru can explain everything to you later." I nodded at Shikamaru to signify that it was okay to tell Choji too. 

"You sure you're alright with that?" He asked me. 

"We're a team, if something effects one person it affects the whole team." I stated. Asuma looked between all of us and gave a firm nod. 

"You're right, Amaya." 

"So should we be getting to work?" I smiled.

~

After the day came to an end I headed off to dinner with everyone. We sat down at Choji's favorite restaurant and as they started eating I stared off out the window thinking about the pains I had been getting, caused by the ruby. 

"Everything alright?" Shikamaru asked when he noticed me not eating. 

"There's...something I have to tell you all..." Shikamaru had explained while we were walking what had happened to me the night before. They all stopped eating and looked at me. 

"What is it?" Asuma asked from beside me. 

"Its about what happened the other night...its about the ruby..." I had their attention now. "The ruby...its...its hard to explain, but...my father before he died, placed the ruby inside of my body..." I looked down as they all went wide eyed. 

"Inside you..." Shikamaru muttered. 

"Mhm, he thought it was the only way to keep it safe from Itachi. Because he knew that Itachi would come for it when he realized its power. The only way for him to get it...is to kill me." I whispered, seeing the shaking in my hands. I was scared. Scared of Itachi coming back to finish what he had started. 

"Amaya..." Choji muttered as the tears fell from my eyes. 

"I...I'm scared...I don't want to die..." I whispered. Asuma wrapped an arm around my shoulder as I stared down at the table. 

"We won't let that happen." Shikamaru's serious tone came from across the table. I looked up at him and saw he had a serious look in his eyes. 

"Shikamaru..." I whispered.

"You're our friend and comrade, we won't let him hurt you again." I wiped away the tears and gave him a small smile. 

"Thanks..."