☞Falling

"Look Y/LN..."

You leaned against the car, crossed your arms over your chest and waited for the inevitable.

Ever since Voight brought you up to Intelligence to take Jules' spot as Antonio's partner, you haven't heard the end of her partner's wrath. Antonio Dawson was not a fan of his sergeant's decision, so much so that he completely ignored the fact that he wouldn't last a second without a partner. Hearing him say things like "I don't need her." or "She's not Jules." behind your back wasn't as soul crushing as you thought it was going to be.

It's never easy to lose a partner but Jules took the risk knowingly. She gave her life for the job and while that was her decision, it certainly wasn't your fault. Only Antonio didn't realize it. Using you as a punching bag and pointing fingers at you like you're at fault was his way of coping.

But not anymore.

"I'm going to have to stop you right there," you raised a hand to halt him., your fiery personality surfacing. With a swift movement of your hand, you discarded the sunglasses off your face and looked him dead in the eye. "Get yourself together."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me," you said, crossing your arms over your chest. "I'm sick and tired of your bullshit Antonio."

His silence was unnerving, urging you to continue as much as urging you to stop the ongoing spur of words. The latter not being the endgame.

"I'm so sorry Jules died," you said for what felt like the millionth time. "But she is gone. I'm here. I know you might not be interested in having a partner right now but news flash, you do."

You ended up running out of words to say, "Just think about what she would've wanted you to do instead of taking out your anger on me."

"Dawson, Y/LN. The suspect is heading your way, get ready."

You and Antonio exchanged glances, and for the first time you didn't see hatred swirling in his irises.

Only sadness and unshed tears.

***

With a bag of donuts in hand, you slipped into the car where Antonio was waiting for you. It's been a while since the day you let go of your bottled feeling in front of the warehouse. To your surprise, things changed. "So, how's the divorce going?"

He took the bag from your hands, waiting for you to get comfortable before handing it back to you. "It's awkward. Put your seatbelt on."

You rolled your eyes at his commanding tone, fastening your seatbelt like he instructed. "All divorces are."

You handed him a glazed donut, watching him take a bite before grabbing a napkin. "What about the kids? I get a feeling Diego's not taking it well."

Antonio nodded, "You're spot on."

"You shouldn't pressure him you know?" You told him helpfully. "He's still a kid. The biggest part of him still believes you two can get back together."

Your partner's eyebrows raised ever so slightly in surprise, letting you know of the amusement that you struck him with. "You think we can't?"

At that moment, out of all the things you could do; you blushed. "I-I didn't mean it like that."

He chuckled to himself, looking out of the window, the donut in forgotten on the napkin. It made you nervous, the fact that he wasn't looking at you.

Truthfully, Antonio was scared of what would happen if he did. Just a glance in your direction could change everything he ever knew about you.

And it did.

When Antonio looked at you, it was like he did so under completely new light. When his dark eyes met yours, it was like all air was knocked out of your lungs. His eyes travelled from your face, to your collarbone, going on to assess the rest of your body. You fought the urge to squirm under the stare, watching him visibly swallow.

"I-"

You waited patiently, looking at the way his mouth twitched into a crooked smile. The wheels in his head were turning, everything starting to make sense.

"What is it, Antonio?"

"Nah, it's nothing." He smirked, at that moment deciding to wait for the divorce to settle before making a move on you.

Which wasn't going to be hard, he thought.

But one look at your lips and it all came crashing down.

It was going to be painfully hard to stay away from you.

Divorce be dammed.