[14] Navy Unease

Chrollo Lucilfer. Already, you had met him twice now, without recognizing him at all. Did he recognize you? A lot has changed since you were 13, and you had certainly grown, but you didn't believe in coincidences.

Slamming your palm into your forehead, you inwardly berated yourself for being such a moron. It's not like you expected all your memories to come back at once, that was ridiculous, but you should have at least remembered something upon seeing Chrollo again. Even now, though, your mind was drawing up blanks. You just couldn't remember what had happened that day.

Taking a deep breath, you made your decision, changing into clothes that would better suit the cool, York New air right now. You were leaving again — but this time, you had a plan and a support system.

Quietly, you walked over to Leorio, sound asleep on his bed, and attempted to gently shake him awake. He grumbled in his sleep, and so you tried again, only for a hand to shoot out and latch around your wrist. Next thing you knew, you had been dragged into the bed, Leorio hugging you as if you were a stuffed bear.

Oh dear lord.

Squirming, you managed to free an arm and slap the palm of your hand into his forehead, this time successfully waking him up. Groaning complaints, Leorio reeled back in confusion.

"Wh— Why the hell are you in my bed, [Y/n]?" Despite his words, his tone was more befuddled than upset, with the obvious traces of sleepiness in it. Now free from the man's death grip, you slid off the bed, smoothing your clothes down. Leorio had immediately noticed that you were dressed in regular clothes instead of pajamas, and his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"Where are you going?"

You waited for him to sit up and slip on his glasses as you grabbed your journal and the paper you wrote your translated name on. Then, you sat on the edge of the bed, ready to explain.

No — your mistake last time had been leaving a measly, half-hearted note. You needed to place your trust in your friends, especially since they were willing to help, and that was exactly what you planned to do.

"I'm sorry to wake you up," you hastily apologized in a hushed voice, as if that would keep Killua and Gon from waking up. "My journal. In my diary, I came in contact with the Phantom Troupe prior to my clan's massacre," you explained. "The leader's name is Chrollo Lucilfer. Pale skin, slicked-back black hair, and he has some sort of cross tattooed on his forehead. I'm telling you this because I already ran into him once in the city, but didn't recognize him."

Stupid amnesia.

Leorio's eyes narrowed, gaze hardening. "And you're planning on taking him down?"

You shook your head briskly. "No. Not now." Pursing your lips, you tapped your journal in thought. "There's no way he didn't recognize me — I've ran into him twice this year, and he didn't show hostility to me either time. He wants me alive for a reason, and I want to know why."

An incredulous looked invaded Leorio's face, alarm flashing in his eyes. "You're going to seek out the leader of the Phantom Troupe to talk? Are you fucking crazy?"

Unperturbed by Leorio's outburst, you could only deadpan as the connecting room's door swung open to reveal an annoyed Killua and a sleepy Gon, both barging in to see what was going on. Both had clearly been listening in as Gon next spoke.

"Are you really going to look for Polo . . ?"

Sleepy Gon was enough for your heart to melt for a moment, a fond look on your face. "It's Chrollo, sweetie. And yes, but I promise to be back in time for our meeting with Hanzo."