Chapter 5 (Trigger Warning)

Trigger Warning: Dead parents, abusive parents

Chris walks downstairs the following morning to find Sariah in the kitchen, dressed and ready as if she'd been awake for hours despite retiring to bed at around two in the morning. She and Nova - who was still in her pajamas - were laughing in the kitchen as they appeared to be making breakfast together.

For a moment, Chris just watches them. It was good to see Nova clearly filled with so much joy around Sariah, and Sariah seemed to legitimately enjoy being around Nova, not doing so solely because it was what she was hired to do.

Last night, Sariah had been in a black halter dress, heels, and had her hair and makeup done, and she looked stunning. Now, she was simply in a T-shirt and leggings, her hair piled up in a bun, and not wearing any makeup, but her smile still lit up the room. Chris couldn't deny that she was pretty - hell, it was one of the first things he'd noticed about her when they first met, but watching her interact with Nova was different; it was something special.

"Good morning!" Nova exclaims at seeing Chris, bringing him out of his thoughts.

Chris blinks as he comes back to reality, then smiles to Nova, "Hey, you."

"We're making pancakes!" Nova says, excitedly.

Chris laughs and looks to Sariah, "You don't have to do that."

"Oh, please, it's nothing."

"You're supposed to be taking some time off," Chris teases.

"Well, maybe you're not the only workaholic in this house," Sariah teases in return.

Chris purses his lips, trying to hide the fact that he kind of liked it when she talked back to him. He instead turns his attention to Nova, scooping her up and kissing her cheek.

"Did you know that you're my favorite kid?"

"Did you know that you're my favorite dad?"

"What? No way," Chris says, playfully.

"Can we decorate the house for Halloween today?"

Sariah raises an eyebrow and looks around the house, "It isn't already decorated for Halloween?"

Chris laughs, "You think this is spooky? You should see our shows."

"Daddy, when am I gonna be old enough to come see one of your shows?"

Chris blinks, "Um..."

Sariah smiles, "Should I add that to the list of things to discuss with you before you leave again?"

"Potentially."

x

"No. Absolutely not."

"What are you talking about?!" Easton asks.

Sariah walks out of the dressing room with a deadpanned look on her face.

"It makes your boobs look great!" Jason says.

"Okay, but feathers?"

Both Easton and Jason were having groomsmen and "groom's maids" in their wedding, but Sariah was going to be Easton's maid of honor. While she still had a couple of days off, Easton and Jason wanted to go with Sariah as she tried on some potential bridesmaids dresses. The dress she was currently wearing was fine from the knees on up, but everything from the knees down...wasn't great.

wasn't great