17. Self-Sabotage

- Warning for slight gore ahead! -

Fei Chenling gaped, while Nan Wuyue looked on expressionlessly. The qi marker he'd left in Mo Yixuan's body had long signaled him of his master's approach, after all.

"You three..." the sect master began, before trailing off to walk towards the senseless Jun Zhen. "What happened?!"

"He's resting," Mo Yixuan said bluntly. His eyes swept past Nan Wuyue's figure before he waved somewhat clumsily at the air. Instantly, a sound barrier winked into existence, cutting off all noise from the outside world. Mo Yixuan strategically turned away from his disciple before beginning to speak. It wouldn't surprise him if cultivators knew how to read lips.

"I knocked him out, but he attacked me first," he began again. "Do you have any ideas on how to fix him?"

Fei Chenling gave him a long look. He too had turned away from Nan Wuyue to glance at Jun Zhen's young disciple. "Leave us, I'll summon you later."

The youth didn't need to be told twice as he backed out of the room. Fei Chenling fixed his gaze on his junior brother, suddenly somber. "It's been years, Xuan'er. What brought this on?"

After all, Mo Yixuan had never cared for the fate of his senior brother Jun Zhen in the past.

"It's gone on long enough," Mo Yixuan vagued. He took the Heavenly Sealing Pagoda out of his sleeve and tossed it at Fei Chenling. "You'd better hold onto this." What kind of sect leader leaves dangerous weapons in the hands of an insane man?

Fei Chenling caught it easily and frowned as he recognized the object. "Why do you—?" He instantly recalled the burst of qi fluctuation he'd sensed earlier and blurted out, "He used this against you?!"

"What else would you expect from a madman?" Mo Yixuan pointed out the obvious. "His disciple says you treat him monthly. I'd say he's overdue for another session."

Fei Chenling only shook his head with a sigh. "I can only help with his physical ailments. His mind, on the other hand...it's been a lost cause for years." But already he was crouching down to inspect Jun Zhen's legs, eyes flickering with bits of flame as he waved his hands over the limbs. "As expected, they've started icing over again."

Mo Yixuan was still processing the statement when Fei Chenling took over the handlebars of the wheelchair and started pushing it away. Seeing this, he dismissed the sound barrier and prepared to follow, only to be stopped by a call behind him.

"Shizun."

Right, he's still here. Mo Yixuan looked back at Nan Wuyue as Fei Chenling clicked his tongue.

"I'll take Peak Lord Jun to the inner rooms," the sect leader said. "Your disciple, though..."

He quickly explained the state of Nan Wuyue's meridians to Mo Yixuan, then ended with a pointed look at the seated disciple. "What's he playing at? He claims your training led him to such a state?"

"He wasn't taught well enough," Mo Yixuan's reply was the honest truth.

"You're not defending him again, are you, Xuan'er?!" Fei Chenling was clearly unconvinced. "He's slandering you in front of the sect leader! I don't understand why you keep humoring him."

"And why do you keep defending me?" Mo Yixuan asked. "A junior brother who's crippled his senior brother, who leaves his disciple a failure—"

"Nobody said those things!" Fei Chenling interrupted heatedly. "Where did you hear them from? I'll give them a piece of my mind!"