6. The Longest Nap

Ouyang Che took another sip of tea before he replied. "That will be difficult. As a peak lord, you have responsibilities to the sect. It's not always so peaceful here."

"Closed door cultivation won't do?" Mo Yixuan half joked.

"You can hide in a cave for the rest of your life, but I'd hardly call that living," Ouyang Che replied seriously. "A live burial is more like it. The elders of the sect are content with it well enough, so you're welcome to join them if you last. But I doubt you would."

"Why not?" Mo Yixuan asked.

"Because peace isn't bought, but found," Ouyang Che replied. "Your heart is restless and your spirit weary. You would only be plagued by your thoughts if you shut yourself up with nothing else for company."

"Then I'll wander the world," Mo Yixuan tossed out. "Away from all this, and the rest of your lot."

"When you hardly grasp the basics of cultivation?" Ouyang Che scoffed. "The world would eat you alive. If it's seclusion you want, then you can hardly find a better place than Star Pavilion Sect. Aside from a few mandatory appearances and occasions to defend our grounds, we don't ask for much. A little sacrifice of your time can easily earn you the solitude you seek."

"And the sect leader and Mu Yelian?" Mo Yixuan pressed, unconvinced.

"There are ways to make them leave you alone," Ouyang Che coaxed. "If that's what you want."

"What do you want from all this?" Mo Yixuan blurted suddenly. He refused to believe that Ouyang Che was just humoring him out of good will.

Ouyang Che folded his hands. "The safety of the sect has always been important to me. I have no other requirements as long as you're not a threat."

"Is that it?" Mo Yixuan found it hard to believe.

"In a situation where neither side has anything to lose, I believe we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement," Ouyang Che said smoothly. "You harbor no ill intentions and I have no reason to exterminate you, so let the river run its course."

"You're very pragmatic."

"I do try my best. Your tea's not bad," Ouyang Che raised his empty cup towards Mo Yixuan with a smile. "Shall I tell you all about 'Mo Yixuan' now?"

By the time they finished, it was already late evening. Surprisingly, Mo Yixuan didn't feel a trace of exhaustion or hunger despite a day without rest or food. He gazed accusingly at Ouyang Che as the latter rose to his feet.

"I thought you said I needed to rest?"

"You would, if you were the original 'Mo Yixuan.' The qi refining pool does a number on the soul. But seeing as you're still completely chipper, I'm relieved to say that you've extinguished all traces of him and is as fresh as a carp turned dragon." Ouyang Che replied without missing a beat. "It's quite reassuring to see my theory confirmed with living proof."

As Mo Yixuan digested those words, Ouyang Che continued to rattle off a list of reminders.

"You've already cultivated to a stage where you don't need food for substance, so don't worry about meals. Mediate daily when you can, it'll regulate your qi and get you more used to this body. Also—" he paused to look around, then pointed in the most likely direction of Mo Yixuan's rooms. "Remember to change back into your robes three months from now when the mourning period ends. We don't want you looking like a ghost indefinitely."

Mo Yixuan's eyes flickered between his clothes and Ouyang Che's own. Notably, both of them were wearing white. He recalled the scores of other disciples swathed in similar hues across the sect and came to a realization.