Chapter 5: Keep your head up, keep your heart strong.

The alarm of my phone went off, but I was already awake. I turned it off and kept staring at my ceiling. My hands were under my head, and my thoughts were far away. I had been thinking for a long time now. It was this new woman that was on my mind. The sight of how Farah took care of my little sister haunted me. She was also the one who had saved me a few weeks earlier. I tried to stay as far away from her as I could. I hadn't told my family about that day, and neither was I planning on doing so. It wouldn't matter to them. The only people I cared about were Norah, Lyra, and Ace. The problem was that I didn't get to see them a lot. I only saw Ace because we work closely together.

I kept thinking about Farah. It was obvious that I confused her the day before. I acted very differently, and I knew that. The thing was that I really wanted her to get far away from me and my family. On the day of the accident, she should've let me die. Why did she need to play the hero? I would never kill myself, and yet I was done. I truly believed that God had answered my prayers that day. And then Farah showed up and ruined it all.

I walked out of bed and put on my grey joggers, a T-shirt, and also my earphones. I started my day like always, by running.

It was now half-past 8 when I arrived at the firm. I wore a black suit today, and my hair was slicked back. I had picked Ace up from his house, so we walked in together. "Good morning Mr. Cain and Mr. Bailor," the young lady behind the desk smiled. "Good morning indeed," Ace winked back as I simply nodded. When we were in the elevator, I turned to Ace. "For how long are you going to flirt with her? Come on, ask her on a date or something. I'm getting bored of you two," I teased. "You two? Wait. Do you think she likes me too?" "Hell yeah! She has been eyeing you ever since she's been working here. It's so obvious. Go take her on a date," I laughed. "I will. I am going to ask her when she's on a break," Ace was smiling, staring at the elevator door. I frowned at him with a smile on my face too. "Okay, now get yourself together, pal. It's time for work. You know what they say: 'Never get your personal life and work mixed up.'" I told him. Ace sighed. "They also say: 'Never do business with your family' and yet here we are." "I swear I hate you sometimes," I shook my head, laughing. "I love you too." Ace winked. The elevator door opened, and we both turned a different corner.

...

I opened my eyes, and in my arms was Lyra. She was still sleeping, and sweat covered her head. I couldn't sleep at night. Not only because I had to look after Lyra, but also because I kept thinking about Zain. I still couldn't figure out why he acted like he didn't know me. He seemed to hate me, but why? I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong. I couldn't forget the first time I'd met him. He was so helpless, and now he acted as if nothing had ever happened. I sighed and slowly put Lyra down on her bed.

I used Lyra's bathroom to clean my face and brush my teeth with the toothbrush that Nora had given me. When I was done, I carefully exited the room and closed the door behind me. The hallway was filled with sunshine because of the big window, and I took the time to appreciate the view. I looked outside before I continued my way to the kitchen.

"Good morning Miss. Gillette." Bilal greeted. "Oh, good morning to you too, Mr. Cain. I hope you've slept well." I replied. "Indeed I have. How is Lyra today?" "Well, it's been a long night for her, but I believe that she will feel better today," I explained. "Good. I think this will happen quite often, so I have prepared a room for you next to hers. I hope to make it easier for you that way. Also, maybe it would be smart to move a few things from your home to here. It may be better that we discuss you moving in." Mr. Cain decided. It took me by surprise. I stiffened and played with my hands. "Uhm. I-I don't think that's possible, for now. I'm sorry, Mr. Cain, but there are a few things that I need to take care of in my personal life. I'm very sorry. Maybe in a month or two, I can." I shifted uncomfortably and looked down. Mr. Cain sighed disappointed but patted me on my shoulder. "Don't worry about it. I admire you for taking your responsibilities seriously. The door is always open, and you can stay whenever you want. If you need anything, just say the word." "Thank you, Mr. Cain. I appreciate it." I nodded. Mr. Cain stood up and walked away, leaving me on my own.