Chapter 2: What are the odds?

Two weeks after that day, I had completely forgotten about what had happened.I walked down the hallway, looking for one of my colleagues, when I heard someone cry. I turned the corner to see what was going on. A little girl was crying in the hallway, she was a patient I had seen before. The girl was crying softly, but no one seemed to bother to help her. I stopped a passing nurse.

"Hey, what's wrong with the girl?" I asked. The nurse looked annoyed. "She has been like that for the past 10 minutes. She is scared about her surgery, but every time someone tries to calm her down, she starts screaming. Her mother went to get something to eat."

"Okay, thanks," I replied. I looked back at the girl and noticed her candy dress. I acted as if I were just walking past her and then walked back to her. "Oh wow! What a beautiful dress you have! My favorite candies are lollipops and jellybeans," I said. The girl stopped crying but was now sobbing softly. "Is your favorite candy on the dress too?" I asked her. The little girl looked down and shook her head. "Oh, no. What is it then?" I asked. The girl looked up and answered, "Ice cream." I acted shocked and gasped, "Really? I heard from a little fairy that you're a little scared of the surgery. You know, I'm scared sometimes too. When I'm scared to do something, I promise to treat myself to jellybeans. It helps me a lot. Would you like ice cream after the surgery? Maybe it will help you."

The little girl slowly nodded her head. "Good, but you have to promise me to stop crying. Okay?" The girl nodded again. "Okay, now let's get you back to the room, and later on, I'll get you some ice cream." I took the girl by her hand and brought her back to her bed. On my way out of the room, I saw an older lady smile at me. I smiled back and walked away.

A few minutes later I met the old lady again. I had to prepare her for surgery. We talked a little, and in the meantime, I explained the surgery she was going to have. Her name was Sarah, and I introduced myself as well. "My name is Farah, nice meeting you" I smiled. My buzzer went off, which meant I had to go because there was an emergency. But before I left, the woman held my hand."Darling, I have to say that I think you're an amazing doctor. So I want to make you an offer. I hope I don't sound too persuasive, but I would like you to work for me and my family? I can assure you that you'll get better paid than here," Sarah said. I was startled by the sudden offer. I smiled and could feel my cheeks blush a little. "But I'm just an anesthetist. I'm not an actual doctor," I told her. "It doesn't matter, you went to med school, so you probably know a lot already," she laughed. I smiled wide and said "In that case, it would be an honor, but I need to go for now. There's someone in need, and I can't let them wait." I smiled at her and thanked her for being so nice. I wrote down my phone number on a paper and ran out of the room.

When my shift was over, I wanted to go straight to one person. I went to the elevators and looked at my phone, checking for any messages. I had a few messages, including one from Sarah. She asked me when I could come to meet her family and finish the arrangements. I smiled and put my phone in my pocket again, but at that exact moment, the elevator door opened. My eyes met with the familiar green ones of none other than Mr. Prick. We both stared at each other with a look of both hatred and surprise. The smile that had previously formed on my face was gone. It felt like a decade before I finally decided to enter the elevator, and surprisingly, he got out. His shoulder slammed against mine when he passed me, and he didn't even turn around. I never knew that I could be so disgusted by a stranger.

I clicked on number four and waited for the doors to finally open. I got out and went straight to room zero-zero-four. The first thing I did was wash my hands."Hi, Mama," I whispered. My mother was sleeping. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever laid eyes on, but after she got sick with cancer, she changed. She lost her beautiful brown long hair. Her almost black eyes would always sparkle when she saw her kids. But now I could only see my dying mother.

I put my bag down as I lay in bed next to her. My head rested on my mother's shoulder, just like it used to be when I was a child. "Farah?" she whispered weakly. "I'm here, Mama, just sleep," I answered. My mother grabbed my hand and kissed it. "I love you, baby. Don't you ever forget that." I smiled sadly and managed to keep my voice steady. "How could I? Try to rest, please." My mother nodded, and I could feel the calm rhythm of her breathing against my hair.I felt my eyes tear up. My mother had stage four cancer and the doctors said she couldn't be cured anymore, which meant she would die soon. The doctors gave her four months, and there have already passed two. I could always recognize a person in their final stage, because of my job, and my mom was definitely in hers. I couldn't imagine how I would ever live without her by my side. Another tear fell down my cheek, and I tried my best to hide it. Oh, how bad I wished I could trade places with her just so she wouldn't suffer as much. How the hell was I going to survive without her? I felt lonely without her.

After an hour or two, I left. Just when I wanted to walk out of the building, I heard someone call my name. When I turned around and saw Sarah sitting in a wheelchair. I smiled and walked towards her. "Hello, Sarah, what are you still doing here? How did your appointment go?" I asked while I patted her hand. "Ahh, darling, it went well. Thanks for asking. I'm waiting for someone to pick me up. He went to an appointment and ended up stuck in traffic, poor thing," she explained. "I can take you home if you want" I smiled. "No, there's no need to burden yourself. I'll just wait for him," she stated. "I really don't mind. I can't just leave you here all alone. In fact, it would be better for me to bring you home to rest as soon as possible because you just had surgery, and that isn't nothing," I explained while I put my hand reassuringly on Sarah's shoulder. "Well, if you put it that way, it surely would be nice," the old woman smiled wide, which melted my heart. I stood up and pushed the wheelchair to my car. I helped her get in the passenger seat and quickly rode the wheelchair back to its place. When I came back, I started the radio, and we drove away.

After a while, I noticed from the corner of my eye that Sarah was looking at me. Then she looked away and smiled. After a few seconds, I turned to her and saw how she was deep in thought, but the smile was still there."What are you thinking about?" I asked curiously. The woman turned to me and was silent for a moment, which made me even more curious. "I have great plans for you in the future, my child" she stated. I looked at her with my brows furrowed while a smile played on my lips. "Should I be worried? What do you mean?" I asked, smiling. Sarah laughed. "Have a little patience, darling. All in good time."