hope in the dark

disclaimer: i don't own Avatar: the Last Airbender

A/N: any recognizable quotes are from 'Sozin's Comet, Part 4: Avatar Aang'

TW: story with suicide, the section containing said story and some of the following dialogue has a line of bolded equal signs before and after, keep any eye out for those if you want to skip.

--------------------

don't leave (me)

chapter 3: hope in the dark

--------------------

"Just leave it!" Zuko yelled at the servant removing the lint from his robe.

"Zuko," Iroh said sternly, "that is no way to treat those who are serving you, especially on a day as important as today."

"Whatever," he mumbled. Zuko glared at his uncle, still furious he had to be pulled from the medical wing to get ready for his coronation. After Zuko had guided Sokka's attention to the more pressing matter of his sister, they had found the medics and some nurses in the bath room attached to the main medical room. Zuko had begrudgingly allowed Sokka to put Katara's body in one of the tubs. They had all been waiting for a miracle when a servant had called him out to get dressed.

Iroh's gaze softened. "Nephew, I know you are upset that you had to leave Miss Katara, but this event cannot be ignored. As Fire Lord, you can officially put an end to this dreadful war. Rest assured, she is being taken care of as well as possible."

"Did you see her?" Zuko said vehemently, still glaring.

"I just returned a little while ago, Zuko, I was not able to see her or hear more of her condition."

"Her 'condition' is dead, Uncle," Zuko turned away.

"Dead? Nephew, you must be mistaken. I was told they were taking care of her-"

"Her heart stopped!" Everyone in the room stilled as the lit torches spiked in height. Zuko's breathing was heavy and his eyes glowed with a desire for revenge. "She's dead, Uncle!" Tears formed in his eyes but he blinked them away, not daring to cry in front of his servants. "Katara's gone," he said in almost a whisper before stalking into the room's attached bathroom.

"Please, give us some time alone," Iroh said. The servants present bowed and left at his request.

The retired general stood alone for a moment, then silently walked into the bathroom. Zuko sat on the edge of the tub, his elbows supported by his knees and his head in his hands.

"Nephew..." Iroh started, "are you sure she is gone?"

Zuko didn't move. He grunted a "yes" in response.

"How are you sure?"

This time he met his uncle's eyes, his own still lit with a dangerous fire. "Her heart stopped, Uncle. The medics said so themselves."

"How long has it been since it stopped?"

"I don't know! I wasn't exactly keeping track while she was dying in my arms!"

Iroh hummed. "Have they been checking if her heart is still stopped?"

"It stopped. There's no use in checking again."

Iroh hummed again. "Nephew, I would like to tell you a story..." before Zuko could register his words, Iroh began.

=TW=TW=TW=TW=TW=TW=TW=TW=TW=